• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multivitamin with methylfolate?

richvank

Hi Rich, thanks for the comprehensive reply/explanation. I had read the whole debate between you and Fredd about whether folinic acid is detrimental, but I had not put it together that calcium folinate is folinic acid - new to all of this bio-chemistry. So this is that same debate and your position is that it shouldn't be a problem for most of us, but it is for Fredd and people like him with a particular mutation. Got it. So should we be taking extra methylfolate than what we are getting in the Thorne?

Hi, jasrich.

If you get up to 6 capsules per day, I think it will be supplying enough methylfolate. I would suggest starting at a lower dosage and coming up slowly, because some people are sensitive to different dosages than others. I don't think it's possible to make a general statement about dosages that will apply accurately to everyone. People are just too unique.
Anyone who goes onto a methylation-type protocol will have to feel their way along to some extent, I think.

Best regards,

Rich

trollo

It's difficult to say for sure.

I also take the same 5mg of methylfolate on a daily basis to prevent problems due to potentially reduced levels of tetrahydrobiopterin. It helps not only with neurotransmitters but with the prevention of extreme oxidative and nitrosative stresses caused by elevated levels of peroxynitrite. What I don't do is take a lot of methylcobalamin at the same time. Otherwise, much of that methylfolate will end up being used in the methylation cycle, instead of recycling dihydrobiopterin (BH2) back into tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4).

I guess it would be prudent to get yourself tested for MTHFR mutations. 23andme would provide you with that info and much more.

Wait wait wait! This is the first time i hear that!! If this is true it should be quite important! That means that the dosage of b12 compared to folate makes a difference toward pushing into methylation or into bh4 recycling? Is this just your personal opinion or do you have validation for that? As i'm A1298C and not C677T and have mainly psychiatric issues this would be important for me to know...

daniariete2000

Good morning,

I would like to buy : Pure Encapsulations Multi t/d for my parents for general prevention but it conteins vitamin c with methylfolate/methylcobalamin and and I remember that Fredd said that are to be taken separately (vitamin c with methylfolate). Can you Fredd tell me if it is possible to take this supplement without problem ?

Thanks

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Can I ask if anyone with severe intolerances has found a good multivit and mineral - I'm struggling to find something.