Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multivitamin question

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Live And Let Die, May 27, 2011.

1. Live And Let Die

Live And Let Die Senior Member

Las Vegas
    I feel better when I don't take a multivitamin.

Why?

2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Live.

What's the condition of your gut? If you have dysbiosis, the multivitamin could be feeding the bacteria.

Rich

3. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I wonder if some poorer quality components of the Vitamin could make you feel worse?

GG

4. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I agree with "aprilk1869" in that most multivitamins use "folic acid" when I think folilinic acid, l-methyltetrahydrafolate or l-methyfolate are better choices. I also do not like any with cynacobalmin and was well prefer it have the active form of B6 (p5p). Thorne Research, Pure Encapusulation, AOR Ortho Core and Vimmortal (expensive unless you join there site, but don't underestimate the amount of ingredients. Mega loading vitamins is generally not the best thing for me as it is definitely quality over quanity!

6. Athene

Athene ihateticks.me

Italy
    A few ideas:

You could be allergic/intolerant to ingredients like colourings, flavourings etc in the tablets.

I've had quite a few nutrient levels tested and got results that were way above normal rather than below. I had to stop taking my multivits because my copper level is sky high, for example. (and is so for many PWCs). So there could be something like that going on.

I am also badly allergic to yeast, which is what all B vitamins are made of unless the labels says yeast free. It make me feel awful even in really low doses.

Various nutrients are made out of freaky stuff. I read recently that vitamin D2 is made from ergot (the poisonous mould). So you could have a sensitivity to some "invisible" ingredient.

7. Live And Let Die

Las Vegas
    I have never had anything in my gut checked. Where should I go, what tests should I run? One of the symptoms I've never really had throughout CFS is gut problems.

Rich - I have no idea what disbiosis is.

I can tell the difference between higher and lower quality of vitamins. Right now I'm just taking the generic store brand multivitamin (it was on sale lol), nothing special. I have taken GNC's mens multivitamin in the past and can tell that it is a much higher quality.

April - I'll check out that Fredd post.

8. Live And Let Die

Las Vegas
    Read the Fredd post, don't understand it at all. This vitamin/minerals/supplement stuff is a foreign language to me.

See more popular forum discussions.