1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multiplying & re-introducing special B cells turns off autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Multiplying & re-introducing special B cells turns off autoimmune disease at Duke University Medical Center
    When a small amount of ‘Mother Nature’s' own B10 cells (multiplied in the lab) was introduced back into mice with MS-like autoimmune disease, the disease was essentially turned off.
    Oct 14, 2012
    http://www.prohealth.com/library/sh...tter&utm_campaign=twitter_article&LIBID=17643

The above article is based on this research paper:

Regulatory B cells control T-cell autoimmunity through IL-21-dependent cognate interactions
    Ayumi Yoshizaki et al
    Nature (2012)
    doi:10.1038/nature11501
    14 October 2012
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11501.html

Overstressed, CJB, Legolas and 10 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

This pleases me.

Can somebody post the full article?

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I like this as it sounds like something that would really have a positive impact when completely developed.

4. currer

currer Senior Member

Very interesting.

Fluge and Mella's rituximab study results suggested to them that depleting the CD20 B cells was acting on another as yet unknown immune signal and this was why the response to rituximab was delayed by several months.

They felt that the therapeutic response was secondary to the primary action of the rituximab, via some unknown mechanism.
    I hope they are alerted to this research. It sounds relevant to their work. Anyone want to send it to them?

5. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Oooooh now this could be HUGE
    need to see how many health issues that could work on, eh?
    diabetes?

6. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    a little off track, but do we think ampligen triggers that unkown immune signal that fluge and mella speak of that happens with ritux. Both indirectly turning on Nk function. The delay in improvement is basically like a non cfs/me person in a post viral state now they have functioning nk cells and or is enough time to clear the infections that are commonly found in cfs/me.

If the above is true we still dont know why nk function is low(some type of immune defiency) but sounds like we can treat it. Even adding antivirals to this makes alot of sense.

cheers!!!

merylg likes this.
  8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very exciting research - thanks Bob. All at long last on the way now.

Bob likes this.
  9. rebar

rebar

this is very encouraging and to me seems compatible with the idea of rituximab as a reset button

SilverbladeTE and Enid like this.
  10. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    This is so wonderful Bob - thanks for posting. Definitely, let's make sure the researchers know about it. I'll PM the people that I know here that are seeing Dr. K for Rituximab.

Bob and currer like this.
  11. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Bumping this finding - the real basis in understanding the dysfunction of the immune system central to ours and many other illnesses.

12. Legolas

Legolas

Belgium
    I'm -despite the rituximab findings- still not convinced we have an autoimmune disease. But when i read this, i'm kind of starting to hope we have.
    I've haven't had any time reading the full article yet.

13. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Well we do have an immune response problem - thanks Bob - QED.

14. Jacque

Jacque Senior Member

USA - California
    Wow wish I would have read this bf my visit to Dr. Kogelnik yesterday... very interesting info!! Hope they really speed this up...I am ready to "live" a little in the years I have left on this planet.... Thanks for post!!

Overstressed and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.