• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multiple sclerosis patients have a distinct gut microbiota compared to healthy controls

TigerLilea

Probiotics release strong antibiotic substances. These substances are called bacteriocine. Taking probiotics could help you to avoid strong antibiotics.
Very much synthetic produces antibiotics are recreated to bacteriocines.

@TigerLilea I also wish you the best. For antibiotic diarrhea saccharomyces boulardii could help, because abx diarrhoe ist sometimes caused by clostridium difficile.
I'm currently taking Florastor (saccharomyces boulardii), Proscript Assist (soiled based), Align (B. infantis 35624), and anything else I can find that have different strains of probiotics. I'm also planning on ordering a Butyrate probiotic which I believe comes from Japan and works on short chain fatty acids. This is one that Ken Lassesen recommends and I'm still in the process of researching it.

The diarrhea has long since cleared up but the excruciating exhaustion and headache have not gotten any better in the past three and a half months since this happened. I'm also finding now that my PEM is much worse and takes a lot longer to recover from. I'm also experiencing much more muscle pain than I ever have before. I had a friend go through a similar situation from antibiotics and it took her three years to recover. :depressed:

jepps

The diarrhea has long since cleared up but the excruciating exhaustion and headache have not gotten any better in the past three and a half months since this happened. I'm also finding now that my PEM is much worse and takes a lot longer to recover from. I'm also experiencing much more muscle pain than I ever have before. I had a friend go through a similar situation from antibiotics and it took her three years to recover. :depressed:

Did you read the resistent starch thread? If you take prebiotic supplements, you can improve the effects of probiotics a lot. It helped me and helps yet A LOT for inflammation.
Prebiotics promote the inflammation reducing firmicutes.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

viruses in the nervs (very often coxsackie) create chronic dysbiosis. As the actinobacteria with the bifidobacteria are strong producers of antiviral substances, and important vitamins like B12 and B9, maybe insufficient actinos impair our defense against viral infections..

I hate the idea of killing animals for food, but eating them improves my health. There is something in meat and poultry that helps my energy and gut. I wish there was another way, and I have tried for many years to be a vegetarian.

I don't have coxsackie, don't respond to B12 injections, and don't have gut issues. I feel like a human lab rat because I have tried many things, and keep trying new things. At one time I had gut issues, but because I am a lab rat, its hard for me to identify how I improved. Now I make changes differently, I add only one thing, or removing only one thing at a time and then wait a few weeks. Over time I have found the best combination that works for me. And even if i was to find a way to restore my health back to normal, the route I took may not work for someone else.

Groggy Doggy

the excruciating exhaustion and headache have not gotten any better in the past three and a half months since this happened. I'm also finding now that my PEM is much worse and takes a lot longer to recover from. I'm also experiencing much more muscle pain than I ever have before. I had a friend go through a similar situation from antibiotics and it took her three years to recover. :depressed:
Does penicillin only damage the gut? Can it also damage glucose metabolism? Maybe try another approach?

Edited to add this link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26818734

Last edited:

TigerLilea

Did you read the resistent starch thread? If you take prebiotic supplements, you can improve the effects of probiotics a lot. It helped me and helps yet A LOT for inflammation.
Prebiotics promote the inflammation reducing firmicutes.
I just finished reading that thread before looking at this one. I've got Potato Starch on my list for the next time I shop.

TigerLilea

Does penicillin only damage the gut? Can it also damage glucose metabolism? Maybe try another approach?

Edited to add this link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26818734
Thanks for the link, GD. I don't think that glucose metabolism is an issue for me as I'm not obese or have diabetes. I've never thought to investigate whether penicillin can cause damage other than with the gut microbiome. Something else to add to me research list. :)