A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multiple latent viruses reactivate in astronauts during Space Shuttle missions

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by adreno, Mar 7, 2015.

1. adreno

adreno PR activist

Never knew about this. It seems increased stress associated with space flight can reactivate latent viruses.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24886968

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

beaker, L'engle, Countrygirl and 7 others like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

It would seem logical then, that stress could also be a factor in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS.

My OI/POTS problems started after using adrenal glandulars. I am not sure why, as many have used them without issue. But perhaps the extra cortisol reactivated a latent virus?

I'm guessing it could have caused the immune hyper reaction described by Lipkin et al., creating autoantibodies blocking adrenoceptors. Interestingly alpha-1 adrenoceptor agonism markedly improves my OI.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    oceiv likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I think OI/POTS and low blood volume are linked to microgravity and resulting deconditioning rather than any viral activation (NASA ran a lot of bed rest earthbound studies to investigate). One striking feature of these studies, even those involving severe deconditioning (3 months bed rest!) is there are minimal reports of fatige (even less of mental fatigue and PEM), apart from on reconditioning, when the fatigue is quickly overcome.

beaker, L'engle, Mij and 5 others like this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Hi Simon, I didn't say herpes virus reactivations played an aetiological role in OI/POTS. I don't believe they have any causal role in ME/CFS. I view our inability to keep them in check as a consequence of the underlying disease.

6. adreno

adreno PR activist

That may be different from ME/CFS related OI, which certainly isn't due to deconditioning, but much more likely due to antibodies.

anne_likes_red and Sidereal like this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

There was that recent paper suggesting there may be autoantibodies against adrenergic receptors in POTS.

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/1/e000755.full

anne_likes_red and adreno like this.
  8. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    My point is there is good evidence the astronaut oi/pots and blood volume issues are down to deconditioning (latent viral activation is different) and I would be wary about wrapping up the whole lot together and saying 'ME is like the effects of space travel' - there appear to be multiple things going on here.

beaker, L'engle, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  9. adreno

adreno PR activist

Thanks, I was aware of this paper. The conclusion describes my symptoms very well:

Valentijn and Sidereal like this.
  10. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Agreed. Is it at all possible that OI/POTS has a causal role in the replication of viruses? There's got to be a reason for the astronaut's reactivation. Does low blood volume negatively affect the immune system? Did the 3 who shed no viruses before, during, and after experience the same loss of blood volume? Who, what, when, where, why?

SOC and L'engle like this.
  11. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

There is an obvious problem in microgravity caused by disturbance in baroreflex. If this is not used for a period of months it should be no surprise that homeostasis becomes less reliable. This is also connected to control of volume, because these receptors are used to adjust volume of circulating fluid. There don't appear to be other good mechanisms for adapting to such an unnatural prolonged condition. Naturally, direct damage to nerves with such receptors can also cause homeostasis to become unreliable.

Lack of exercise in legs also affects circulation directly, since venous blood is pumped back toward the heart by what amount to check valves in veins. The effectiveness of immune response is directly related to circulation, since this determines the rate at which immune cells are carried to tissues, and the rate at which information from tissues acquired by the cellular immune system is carried back to other components of the immune system. Doctors dealing with paralyzed patients, or patients with heart failure, should be well aware of the risk of developing immune dysfunction.

The problem of deconditioning in spaceflight is quite different from ME/CFS in one respect. When I looked at older research I saw no evidence of a prolonged drop in aerobic capacity following exercise as happens in PEM. (Anyone who does find such a mention should tell me.) Even the most severely deconditioned astronauts/cosmonauts, who needed assistance to exit spacecraft after record time in microgravity, recovered capacity in a matter of weeks. Of course, nobody was telling them to push themselves past perceived limits to overcome "false illness beliefs".

L'engle, Mij, anne_likes_red and 7 others like this.
  12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Elevated catecholamines would also depress cell-mediated immunity which could lead to these herpes virus reactivations.

Crux, anne_likes_red and melamine like this.
  13. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    I think this shows that we were all abducted by aliens.:alien:

L'engle likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.