August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multiple B12 daily doses vs 1 larger dose

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by PeterPositive, Jan 7, 2015.

1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hello,
    I have been doing some experiments with distributing methyl-B12 over many doses during the day vs taking it in 1 or 2 administrations.

To be clear I am talking about sublingual Methyl-B12. My current dose is ~10mg/day.

To my surprise I noticed that it makes a significantly positive difference to take at least 4-5 doses every 3 hours than taking 1 or 2 of higher dosage..

1)
    Could be placebo? Indeed it could be. The act of sticking some tablets under the tongue could trigger some expectations.

2)
    Could be differences in B12 brands? It's another difficult to control variable. I've tried two scenarios:
    • 2x Source Natural's 5mg Methyl-B12, 1 in the morning, 1 early afternoon = 10mg
    • 2x Enzymatic 1mg Methyl-B12 every 3 hours. (5 times a day) = 10mg
    It takes only 2 days of using the 2x 5mg tablets to already have less stamina, low mood and less energy. It feels similar as when I tried to swap Methyl-B12 with Hydroxy-B12. Didn't go well.

From a practical point of view it would make my life easier to take two high dose tablets a day and be done with it, instead of sucking candies all the day (i also take extra sublingual NAD, P5P. 5-MTHF and a basic B complex! Ouch!)

Have you had a similar experience?

Cheers

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I'm confused. You said it only took 2 doses of 5mgs/ day to have less stamina. So you mean you need the additional daily doses to counter act that?

3. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Maybe because it's water soluble and a large dose leads to greater loss via excretion?

4. PeterPositive

Starting from the 2nd day I noticed symptoms such as less energy, low mood etc... but I kept going for several more days, to see if it was a coincidence. Apparently it wasn't.
    When I take smaller doses every few hours I definitely have better mood and energy. Unfortunately they aren't the same brand, so my test may be influenced by several variables.

5. PeterPositive

Interesting, could be.

6. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Are you also taking it with folate for absorption?

7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Freddd gives the Enzy tablets top rating. I don't know how Source naturals ragtes. He and some others didn't find Country Life 5mg as effective as Enzy, but I found it equally good, and used to take 2 AM and 2 midday. I'm now using transdermal oil, once in AM, feels the same.

PeterPositive likes this.
  8. PeterPositive

I do. Two 1200mcg doses of Metafolin.

See more popular forum discussions.