Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multi-vitamin made me Relapse

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Xhale19991, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Xhale19991

Xhale19991

I've felt fantastic the past few months. I decided last week that I should try and take a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing out on any key nutrients.

Fast forward a couple days and I feel terrible. It was without a doubt something in the multi that set me off but I'm not sure what. I have posted a link below to what I'm taking. Any idea why I may be having such a bad reaction?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...Without-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18134

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I could not take a Multi mineral . I tried each item separately to figure out what gave me a problem.

Then I found a product without the problem
    Mineral. I forget what of was.

That's the only way you'll know for sure what crashed you.

3. M494MC

M494MC

Some people have a lot of trouble with iodine.

4. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Were you taking one capsule a day or one serving (6 caps) a day?

What they list as one serving a day is 1 mg of folate, a lot to take if you haven't built up slowly and could knock you down. If you took one cap a day on the other hand, the amount of folate wouldn't be a problem for most.

@Xhale19991

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I tried a few Thorne multis - can't tolerate even 1 a day, maybe try reducing the dose, 1/4 of 1 for instance....forget the daily dose specified they don't work for many of us.

minkeygirl likes this.
  6. Hope78

Hope78

Germany
    Maybe the active form of folic acid. I read in a German forum that it makes thinks bad at first but then peoply slowly improve. It's something about methylathion issues triggered by active folic acid, don't remember the details. But I am pretty sure that's the culprit!

7. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Hope78 It's the other way around, it's folic acid that is problematic for a certain percentage of people, not active folate. But on the other hand folate could be a problem if he started with a high amount. Depends how much of this multi vit he was taking.

bertiedog likes this.
  8. sorin

sorin Senior Member

Actually I did a similar thing - over the winter I decided to take multivitamins and minerals to protect against cold. And all was good for a few days and after that I developed a kind of rash looking like allergies but do not know to which component. That seems to happen in autoimmune diseases where there is an over-response of the immune system - so adding more immunity (via vitamins) is like throwing gas over the fire.

See more popular forum discussions.