• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multi-vitamin made me Relapse

I've felt fantastic the past few months. I decided last week that I should try and take a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing out on any key nutrients.

Fast forward a couple days and I feel terrible. It was without a doubt something in the multi that set me off but I'm not sure what. I have posted a link below to what I'm taking. Any idea why I may be having such a bad reaction?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...Without-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18134

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I could not take a Multi mineral . I tried each item separately to figure out what gave me a problem.

Then I found a product without the problem
Mineral. I forget what of was.

That's the only way you'll know for sure what crashed you.

helen1

Were you taking one capsule a day or one serving (6 caps) a day?

What they list as one serving a day is 1 mg of folate, a lot to take if you haven't built up slowly and could knock you down. If you took one cap a day on the other hand, the amount of folate wouldn't be a problem for most.

@Xhale19991

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I tried a few Thorne multis - can't tolerate even 1 a day, maybe try reducing the dose, 1/4 of 1 for instance....forget the daily dose specified they don't work for many of us.

Hope78

Maybe the active form of folic acid. I read in a German forum that it makes thinks bad at first but then peoply slowly improve. It's something about methylathion issues triggered by active folic acid, don't remember the details. But I am pretty sure that's the culprit!

helen1

@Hope78 It's the other way around, it's folic acid that is problematic for a certain percentage of people, not active folate. But on the other hand folate could be a problem if he started with a high amount. Depends how much of this multi vit he was taking.

sorin

I've felt fantastic the past few months. I decided last week that I should try and take a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing out on any key nutrients.

Fast forward a couple days and I feel terrible. It was without a doubt something in the multi that set me off but I'm not sure what. I have posted a link below to what I'm taking. Any idea why I may be having such a bad reaction?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...Without-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18134
Actually I did a similar thing - over the winter I decided to take multivitamins and minerals to protect against cold. And all was good for a few days and after that I developed a kind of rash looking like allergies but do not know to which component. That seems to happen in autoimmune diseases where there is an over-response of the immune system - so adding more immunity (via vitamins) is like throwing gas over the fire.