Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Multi-vitamin made me Relapse

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Xhale19991, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Xhale19991

Xhale19991

I've felt fantastic the past few months. I decided last week that I should try and take a multivitamin to make sure I'm not missing out on any key nutrients.

Fast forward a couple days and I feel terrible. It was without a doubt something in the multi that set me off but I'm not sure what. I have posted a link below to what I'm taking. Any idea why I may be having such a bad reaction?

http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Researc...Without-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18134

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I could not take a Multi mineral . I tried each item separately to figure out what gave me a problem.

Then I found a product without the problem
    Mineral. I forget what of was.

That's the only way you'll know for sure what crashed you.

3. M494MC

M494MC

Some people have a lot of trouble with iodine.

4. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Were you taking one capsule a day or one serving (6 caps) a day?

What they list as one serving a day is 1 mg of folate, a lot to take if you haven't built up slowly and could knock you down. If you took one cap a day on the other hand, the amount of folate wouldn't be a problem for most.

@Xhale19991

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I tried a few Thorne multis - can't tolerate even 1 a day, maybe try reducing the dose, 1/4 of 1 for instance....forget the daily dose specified they don't work for many of us.

minkeygirl likes this.
  6. Hope78

Hope78

Germany
    Maybe the active form of folic acid. I read in a German forum that it makes thinks bad at first but then peoply slowly improve. It's something about methylathion issues triggered by active folic acid, don't remember the details. But I am pretty sure that's the culprit!

7. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Hope78 It's the other way around, it's folic acid that is problematic for a certain percentage of people, not active folate. But on the other hand folate could be a problem if he started with a high amount. Depends how much of this multi vit he was taking.

bertiedog likes this.
  8. sorin

sorin Senior Member

Actually I did a similar thing - over the winter I decided to take multivitamins and minerals to protect against cold. And all was good for a few days and after that I developed a kind of rash looking like allergies but do not know to which component. That seems to happen in autoimmune diseases where there is an over-response of the immune system - so adding more immunity (via vitamins) is like throwing gas over the fire.

See more popular forum discussions.