Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

mTor Inhibitor Rapamune Helps 5 ME/CFS Patients in Dallas

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Citrulline and arginine can lower cortisol, leading to fatigue. This happened to me when I tried taking arginine in the morning a couple of years ago and within 2 or 3 days was quite tired - I had been expecting (hoping rather) for an energy boost. I had to stop the arginine and increase my adrenal glandular to get back to "normal".

However, I'm currently trying citrulline at night before bed in an attempt to lower possible high nighttime cortisol (which can cause insomnia) and this is not leading - so far - to increased fatigue. So maybe time of day it's taken is important. But I've only taken the citrulline for a couple of days and am watching out for increased fatigue which might still happen. And I've read that citrulline malate especially is supposed to help with workout recovery but have not tried it yet

XenForo likes this.
  2. XenForo

XenForo

I take 600mg NAC every morning, and 120mg magnesium glycinate at night. (I just take them because my Stanford doc tells me to.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Tunguska likes this.
  3. XenForo

XenForo

I'm still not experiencing symptoms - day 9 of enjoying having a life.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  4. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    That’s great @XenForo

Thanks for the report @Hip, sorry it had an adverse effect, feel better

Hip likes this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@XenForo, are you able to quantify the improvements you experience from rapamycin in terms of the ME/CFS scale of mild, moderate and severe? Where are you on this scale normally (without taking rapamycin), and how much movement up the scale do you achieve on rapamycin?

6. XenForo

XenForo

I'd say I'm usually moderate. Recently I'd say I'm mild, but I haven't tried working full time yet, although I've been active at least 8 hours a day for the past week plus, so maybe I'm in the category of healthy for the past week plus.

ukxmrv, dreampop and Hip like this.
  7. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    My functional medicine doc phoned me this morning to say my HIV doc sent him a note giving thumbs up for me to try Sirolimus off-label, so will start in a couple of weeks and post my experience.

Excited, but tempered with the reality that not all of us seem to respond.

Learner1, ukxmrv, pattismith and 6 others like this.
  8. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    @ScottTriGuy any updates on your rapamycin trial?

Scoreboard of our other trail blazers

XenForo - major response
    made_lman / Dallas patient #1 - major response
    Ken Lassesen blog reader - major response

Dallas patient #2 - positive response of unknown degree
    Dallas patient #3 - positive response of unknown degree
    Dallas patient #4 - positive response of unknown degree
    Dallas patient #5 - positive response of unknown degree

perovyscus - discontinued

@nandixon - pending (any updates?)

eljefe19 - major response stopped responding
    Hip - no response
    steve4andrea - no response
    Montoya Reddit patient - no response
    BadPack - no response

so far 7 out of 13 report response

9. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Only 4 days so far, but yesterday I walked for about 25 minutes (way more than my 10 minute ceiling) but about an hour later my blood seemed to be pooling in my abdomen (as it does from walking, pretty sure its an orthostatic intolerance thing) for a couple of hours - spent 30 minutes of that being horizontal on my office floor to help recovery.

So I'd say no response yet.

Tunguska, Jesse2233, nandixon and 3 others like this.
  10. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

I can report a somewhat similar experience to @eljefe19, I think.

I started at 1 mg per day and I initially had about a 30% improvement in energy (within 24 hours of starting it), but this gradually disappeared (beginning after about a week or so) and I was never able to recapture it even with a number of different dosing strategies over several weeks. And when I re-tried it after a break of 2 or 3 weeks it made me feel worse.

It's important to note that, from what Marcia (@made_lman) said on the other forum in her original posts, that the implication is that the other Dallas patients have other comorbid diseases (autoimmune or cancer) as their primary diagnosis, so I would discount those.

I would therefore think in terms of a possible success rate for rapamycin in ME/CFS at more like 3 out of 10, at best, so far. And both Marcia and @XenForo may have unusual relapsing-remitting forms of this disease.

11. XenForo

XenForo

I'm still doing really well, although I still lose a day here and there, spending that "lost" day in bed.

12. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

Were you able to get the Buy-Pharma product to work as well as the Goldpharma?

13. XenForo

XenForo

It's subtle, but I'd still say it doesn't work as well. It's hard to tell, since I've been doing so well. I think I might be biased because the Buy-Pharma stuff tastes sweet like sugar, which makes me feel like it's fake (so it's hard to be objective about it.)

nandixon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.