1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MTHFR With High Epinephrine

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Patrick123, May 1, 2013.

1. Patrick123

Patrick123

My Epinephrine is 103 range is 0-62. I have been suffering from anxiety, high BP 140/78, and rapid heart rate over 100 at rest for over a year. I have been tested for parathyroid, thyroid, and adrenal tumors. All were negative. Is there anything I can take to lower my epinephrine, will 5-htp help?

2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Hi Patrick;
    I'm guessing that maybe potassium may help, because it can lower BP, and help to lower pulse rate, as well as anxiety.

Elevated heart rate is also found with B12/ Folate deficiency, so supplementation may help in time.

( don't know if 5 htp would help)

Most of the studies I've seen report that epinephrine lowers potassium and causes hypokalemia, but, I did find an old study that concluded hypokalemia, induced in mice, increased serum epineprine and norepinephrine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7165423

This is only one study, but, I thought it might be a possible factor.

Victronix likes this.
  3. Victronix

Victronix Senior Member

California
    Yes, that occurred to me also, about potassium. Sorry to hear you are dealing with that Patrick. You might want to try taking potassium before you start the methylation protocols on here, since methylation will initially create a potassium sink, and if you are already having any issue with potassium (which may not show up on a serum potassium test), that could be worsened with methylation. I take potassium gluconate (powder, Now Foods), others take other types.

Crux likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    What dosage of methylfolate and B12 (and what type) were you taking? I agree that it's good to treat an symptoms related to hypokalemia (low potassium), but that's not going to stop overmethylation. I hope supplementing with potassium is all you need, but if not you might want to consider lowering your dose and then gradually increasing it (if necessary).

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I agree w/ the potassium suggestions. I had good results w/ 5HTP prior to ME/CFS. Later, it became an excitotoxin for me. Be cautious. ahmo

6. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Patrick123
    Are you taking TMG, betaine hcl, choline, phosphatidylserine, or Seriphos? There's nothing wrong with taking those supplements, but they all stimulate the BHMT pathway. If the BHMT overstimulated you're going to convert more of your dopamine (DA) into norepinephrine (NE) which then can be converted into epinephrine. This from dbkita
    Methylation itself will increase your neurotransmitters including norepinephrine which can then be converted into epinephrine. This is also from dbkita
    You might also want to check out this wiki article on epinephrine.
    http://wiki.cns.org/wiki/index.php/Epinephrine
    There's a passage about methylation which I've included below, but there's a lot of other information besides that in the article.
    Also this about epinephrine and methylation
    http://www.evenbetternow.com/Autism_Behavior_Balance_DMG.php

See more popular forum discussions.