The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MTHFR Study is Recruiting Volunteers in North Seattle (info came from Ben Lynch)

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by CFS_for_19_years, Jan 28, 2017.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    mthfr.net/mthfr-study-recruiting-volunteers/2017/01/27

[​IMG]
    mthfr.net/mthfr-study-recruiting-volunteers/2017/01/27

FYI the clinic address is:
    Advanced Medical Therapies
    10303 Meridian Ave N
    Suite 101
    Seattle, WA 98133

erin, sarah darwins and Valentijn like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

While the study may be valid the title raised red flags. Recruiting prospective study participants is usually worded differently. This title might have the effect of attracting those who are biased towards the role of MTHFR as an important factor in illness. If self reporting of improvement is used this could skew the outcome.

This also says your MTHFR status must be known. Doesn't that depend on which lab you use?

I don't know that much about the role of MTHFR in illnesses so I'm looking at this from what I know about experimental design.

Helen, CFS_for_19_years and Valentijn like this.
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Here's the rest of the information about the study:
    Nothing is mentioned about self-reporting of improvement. It looks like participants will be offering their blood for analysis.

I'm not an expert on MTHFR gene mutations, so someone else will have to chime in here. My understanding is that genetic testing shows whether you have the gene variants known as SNPs C677T and A1298C. Here's more info about this test:
    https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/mthfr/tab/sample

They don't say how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status, but I would hope they would at least ask to see a laboratory printout or genome zip file. I'm not taking part in the study, so I haven't asked how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status.

barbc56 and Sea like this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Self-selection remains a concern. It will likely result in the selection of people who have a better biological response to folate.

CFS_for_19_years and barbc56 like this.
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

You are right there are blood tests which is certainly better method as far as study design. I still feel the title for recruiting might affect the population studied.

I don't know enough about this subject to say one way or another about the validity of the original premise.

Thanks for this info as I couldn't access ithe original link by copying and pasting the OP's URL. This sometimes happens with my tablet.

You are right there are blood tests which is a better study design.method as far as study design. I still feel the title for recruiting might affect the population studied.

I don't know enough about this subject to say one way or another about the validity of the original premise.

Thanks for this info as I couldn't access it bt the original link which sometimes happens with my tablet.

Edit. I am having lots of problems with my tablet so hope this makes sense. I need to get out my laptop

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  6. lazzlazz

lazzlazz

Seattle
    What Institutional Research Board is overseeing this "study"? There's nothing on the clinic's website about this study.

See more popular forum discussions.