• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR related unusual pain?

PennyIA

I have been diagnosed with methylation issues and even though I meet CCC, I have never been diagnosed with ME/CFS.

I have had WEIRD pains - I have two very distinct, very small - like an inch or two at the most in diameter pains in my left arm and the left side of my chest. I knew that ME/CFS came with weird symptoms that don't always match all patients and I assumed it was related to ME/CFS. I also have the 'broom handle' poking into my upper back between my shoulder blades - but that has been tied to gall bladder in the past (well, presesnt too if you ask an acupuncturist)... not sure if it feels the same as the pain in my arm... the severity of it is just not quite as intense - and it's been known to spread - whereas the pain in my upper, inside arm - always stays the same size and location.

BUT my 25 yr old son just started Methylation treatment (has same genes as I but does NOT have ME/CFS and I'm hoping with treating his methylation issues we keep it that way). He recently went through a bout of pnuemonia and possibly plueresy.

And he developed a spot on his shoulder that hurts ... and just like me, it's small diameter, deep in the muscle tissue intense pain. It's new, so hopefully it'll fade quickly never to return.

It's the weirdest thing in the world. And I'm not connecting the dots to anything else, it's just not a 'typical' symptom. It can't be a pulled muscle - as the whole muscle doesn't hurt - just the one spot. No swelling, no redness, no bruising. Just a spot that hurts like someone is stabbing you repeatedly in this one place.

My pain started BEFORE I started methylfolate and before I had discovered MTHFR. However, I HAD switched to methylcobalamin from cyanocobalamin as I had learned that it was an easier to absorb form of the vitamin, but was still taking Folic Acid and B6 (the WRONG forms at the time).

As it is (dont' tell him I told you this) - I connect the severity of his recent illness to the fact that starting methylation treatment can stir things up and the body has to deal with all of it... could this weird spot-specific pain connect to anything?

Does anyone else experience this kind of pain - or know what else it might be related to besides ME/CFS.

I just find it odd that the only thing that changed for him was the addition of methylation plus the cold that developed into pneumonia.

caledonia

I get random stuff like that. Chest pain and left arm pain. It's disconcerting, but it hasn't killed me yet. This was before methylation.

I've also had it get worse with adrenal glandular supplementation, which was too overstimulating and not tolerated. I assume it was putting too much of a strain on my heart. Good thing I didn't take the amount my naturopath wanted to foist on me.

Pains or achiness that occurs or increases during methylation could possibly be metal detox. Try cutting back on your supplements and see if it eases up.

PennyIA

I was wondering if it might be related to detoxing.

I have the same exact pain in the same exact spot. off and on for over six years now. And it's still no bigger a spot than it was before. And yeah, it hasn't killed me yet. But I sure would like to know what it's related to if I could find a way to keep healing from the methylation issues and not experience that pain all the time.