• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR Pyridoxine HCL

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have taken it in moderate doses (up to 100mg) with no ill effects. I respond to P5P better.

I have taken it in moderate doses (up to 100mg) with no ill effects. I respond to P5P better.

Hmmm... the reason I ask is that I usually have no dream recollection.

I am wondering now if it is possible that I have pyroluria... I have all the symptoms. My Spectracell showed that I am actually low in copper, and fine on b6 and zinc. It makes me wonder how accurate those

Would it make sense to supplement with something like Jarrow Zinc balance since I'm not actually sure if I have pyroluria or not?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Starting at around 100mg p5p my dream recall comes back and stays there every night. I like that.

I go by symptoms more than lab tests. My pyroluria lab test came back negative, but I have all the symptoms and feel MUCH better on zinc (15mg) and p5p so I take it. In fact I can hardly handle going off it. If I have severe stress my b6 deficiency symptoms (insomnia and vocal tics) return.

I have no idea how accurate spectracell is. I have not heard it recommended by any top CFS / pyroluria docs...not to say it isn't good or maybe just unknown by me.

As far as zinc, I don't like to take anything with copper in it (I tested high). Maybe the Jarrow Stuff with 1mg copper is ok for you? I like Pic Mins by Thorne..containing 15mg of zinc picolinate and trace minerals. Too much supplemental zinc.. Like 30mg..causes metal (copper? Lead?) detox symptoms in me..agitation, poor decision making ability, etc

Last edited:

Critterina

I also took 100 mg of pyridoxine HCl without ill effect, but it didn't cure my functional B6 deficiency. I had to take P5P for that, and 50 or 100 mg does it.