How we can hijack the media, in four easy lessons
Love it, hate it, good story, bad story... the media are going to keep reporting on ME/CFS no matter what. But isn’t it time that we saw that coverage as an opportunity?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mthfr ala222aval heterozygous

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by knackers323, Jan 24, 2014.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Could someone please explain what this means and how it would effect methylation treatment please.

2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    It is a single change of a nucleotide (or allele) in the MTHFR gene better known as C677T. C and T are the two options for alleles at position 677 of the gene.

If the allele is a C the protein it codes for (at position 222 of the amino acid) will be Alanine (Ala). If it is a T the protein will be Valine (Val). Hence its alternative name Ala222Val. Because the allele change affects the protein that is made it is known as a missense mutation

The MTHFR gene is responsible for making folate usable by the body and this mutation affects the ability to do this. Homozygous C677T reduces this ability to 30%, heterozygous by itself reduces it to around 60% but it can be further reduced if there are other mutations in the gene as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylenetetrahydrofolate_reductase

Methylation is affected because methyfolate is an integral part of the methylation cycle. A person with this mutation needs more methylfolate. It is still important though to have methylfolate in some balance with B12. I wouldn't take just methylfolate by itself

3. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    ...in other words, it means you're going to want to supplement with methylfolate.

4. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Thank you guys. What happens if folate and B12 are out of balance?
    These are beginner questions I know but I am new to the whole methylation thing. I've been doing lots of reading but its heavy going with a brain that won't work.

5. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    There are two basic things that can happen, according to @Freddd, and they are called "paradoxical or doughnut hole folate deficiency" and "methyl trap". I'm not sure I'm convinced of either, but it's a story worth listening to. Search on them or search his posts, and you'll find plenty of material that doesn't need to be reproduced here.

6. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Taking folate without B12 can mask a B12 deficiency. Irreversible neurological damage can be happening but all testing that would usually flag a deficiency (eg red cell size) will be normalised if taking folate. That is not just a theory, it is well recognised in many studies. One of the downfalls of folate fortified foods is that many elderly people (who are a population recognised as often deficient in B12) are not having that deficiency caught early.

I don't know enough to advise any ratio, I just know it is important to take B12 when taking folate

See more popular forum discussions.