The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mt. Sinai conference report = Nov 20th

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Nielk, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Mt. Sinai ME/CFS conference report - Sunday November 20, 2011
    By Consuegra-ThePatientAdvocateBlog

THE CONFERENCE IS AVAILABLE ON DVD FOR $20 FROM DENLANDER@AOL.COM

2. Nielk

Nielk

I think that this has been mentioned on different threads but, personnaly, I'm surprised how little was made out of it so I thought I would repost it here for people who might not have heard.
    IMO - This is a monumental development for the CFS/ME community and somehow is being minimized or overlooked.
    Is New York not worthy of attention??? So much has been made of the information that Dr. Klimas has moved and is having a research center and I'm very excited about that too.
    Mt. Sinai in New York is one of the major elite hospitals. The fact that they will have now because of Dr. Enlander a center for research specifically for multiple studies for CFS/ME is
    amazing!!!
    I am keenly awaiting for important information coming out of there!

3. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Nielk, agree!!!

Physicians often choose to take "their" family members to Mt. Sinai for world-class care. The Immunology Department is internationally recognized; its clinician/researchers have published results of numerous NIH-funded studies over the years and teach/train residents who go on to work in hospitals throughout the country. The proximity of Mt. Sinai to Dr. Lipkin's Columbia University Lab is another plus. Dr. Enlander has the opportunity and resources at Mt. Sinai to establish an ME/CFS Clinic that would serve as an excellent "model" to be replicated throughout the country.

Nielk likes this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Yes, Gemini.
    In addition, the fact that Dr. Enlander was able to get Drs. Merad and Schadt on board is a "coup" as Mary Schweitzer told me.
    They will also continue the work that Dr. Jonathan kerr had started.

I'm excited about this. Can you tell?

5. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Me, too!

It's important that patient groups & ME/CFS physicians in NY, NJ, and CT support the Mt. Sinai Center by volunteering for studies, assisting with fund raising, helping with communications among other things.

I was so pleased to hear patients may not have to travel to participate in genetic studies. For severely ill patients, researchers must come up with creative ways of reaching out to the homebound to include them in major studies as Mary S. has said repeatedly.

Let's hope this Center will do just that.

Nielk likes this.
  6. Nielk

Nielk

Yes, the twin study they are doing does not require the patient to come in so if you are a twin or know of a twin with ME/CFS anywhere in the world, please contact
    DENLANDER@AOL.COM

7. Nielk

Nielk

8. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

I went to the event on November 20 and I agree it's exciting that it's happening in a generally well regarded and established institution in the heart of NYC. And as noted it can't hurt that Ian Lipkin and some other notable people are nearby. I am very interested in the systems biology approach (such as Eric Schadt) and am hopeful that meaningful insight will come from his work. I really appreciate Dr. Enlander's commitment and his apparent dry humor. Best of luck to him and his team!!

Nielk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.