• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MSG sensitivity

Lotus97

Do people know MSG is additive 621? And can be checked. I have a feeling corn syrup/maltodextrin may impact some CFSers as well. As its a high concentrate of sugar.
Interesting. I bought some wasabi flavored roasted fava beans and they were really good. TOO GOOD. And better than they're other flavors.

They also had sort of a sweet taste which was surprising. So I looked at the ingredients and dextrin was one of the ingredients and the only flavoring besides salt and "wasabi mustard oil".

Also, one thing that I'm still confused about is code words for MSG. I found one product that has MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, and yeast extract listed as ingredients. So if they're the same thing, isn't that redundant?

And I'm guessing I could find some things with both "MSG" and "natural flavors" in it. I've taken sublinguals with "natural flavors". So are they putting MSG in B12 lozenges too?

Also, one thing that I'm still confused about is code words for MSG. I found one product that has MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, and yeast extract listed as ingredients. So if they're the same thing, isn't that redundant?
They're getting labeled differently based on the source, even if the end-product is basically the same. It's deceitful and shouldn't be permitted, but it is.

I've taken sublinguals with "natural flavors". So are they putting MSG in B12 lozenges too?
No, it wouldn't be in that. B12 adds a meaty/cheesy/salty taste, so is used on processed items which have those ingredients or are trying to imitate them. It won't be in sweet or fruity things, which is probably the taste profile a B12 lozenge would be aiming for.

el_squared

I searched out this thread because I have been feeling a lot worse since making some "muffins" with a collagen supplement rather than eggs. It just occured to me that it could be the glutamic acid in the supplement. I don't know for sure, but I know that when I took L-Glutamine a few years ago, I got horribly depressed. I tried it a few times to be sure that was what was doing it, and I was right. I have Celiac Disease. I don't know, maybe anything in with this kind of chemical structure bothers me... Anyone have a similar experience?