• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MSG sensitivity

Has anyone looked into this as a possible problem for us? I am so sensitive to all supplements--most contain gelatin and other fillers that are in the MSG family. So I am wondering if that may be some of my problem. I like to try many of the things everyone here suggests, but just one dose makes me feel so much worse. Can I just dump the capsules and swallow the contents? Or does that cause them to be absorbed too quickly? Help!

Really?! No one has any thoughts on this? It's really hard to start a methylation protocol if every vitamin or supplement makes you feel worse. Can I just dump them in water and take them that way?

xchocoholic

Thanks. I have problems with some supplements too but never realized they contained a type of msg.

I just don't take the ones I react badly too. I opt for healthy foods instead with the idea that I'm getting nutrients from these that contain the co-factirs my body recognizes.

Fwiw. The methylation protocal is a theory. Tc .. X

I'm very sensitive to free glutamic acid (MSG, etc), but gelatin doesn't seem to bother me. But I also take a supplement (n-acetylcysteine) that probably helps keep my glutamate levels down.

Gavman

Yeah msg blows - i have bumped into a couple of articles here and there that suggest low levels of manganese, molybdenum and b2 contributed.. but i couldnt be bothered googling them again.

Asklipia

My recovery was entirely dependent on avoiding MSG and glutamates entirely. I thought that on a forum like this one, everybody would have noticed that MSG is most probably one of the causes of this illness.
My health took a serious turn for the better when I realized this. However I kept having relapses all the time, even though I thought I was ingesting absolutely no MSG whatsoever, cooking everything from scratch.
In 2004 was at my wits' end and decided to save some money to engage in research in India, where at the time you could find a plethora of fine cheap scientists, to elaborate a test which would enable me to check whatever I was eating/drinking, so as to make sure there was no MSG in there. This would help me find out if MSG was the culprit.
By chance I found out a method to do this on my own just before I spent the money.
From my experience :
- MSG is in good part responsible to what is happening here;
- it is in everything where you do not suspect it;
- including sometimes fresh vegetables;
- certainly in a lot of supplements, gelatin but also sometimes the fillers;
- most probably related to the folate deficiency problem discussed by Freddd
- related to vitamin D deficiency
- unfortunately extremely addictive and inducing denial behaviour in the addicts.

I have found out that no one, absolutely NO ONE wants to hear that they are willingly poisoning themselves!
It was not an easy road to recovery, but I did it, unfortunately I have lost all my friends/family on the way. First I was rejected for not taking the same drug as they did, then they died in fairly horrible ways. NOT NICE!!!!

Lots of good wishes to all,
Asklipia

Gavman

Do people know MSG is additive 621? And can be checked. I have a feeling corn syrup/maltodextrin may impact some CFSers as well. As its a high concentrate of sugar.

roxie60

MSG gives me a bad hadache. This usally happened when I would eat Chinese food, when I was younger and knew I was going to eat Chinese I would take ibuprofen before (to young and stupid to see that avoiding the food was probably the better option). I am curious if MSG is in so many food products (and it is) why do I not always get headaches, I presume it has to do with the qyantity of MSG.

Googsta

Doing Well
I mostly have GI issues with MSG. And it takes a long time for things to calm down again.
My husband does not have ME/CFS & his reaction to it is even worse than mine.

He has suffered from regular migraines, including clusters since childhood which we have discovered is due to MSG in his favourite tomato soup. Since eliminating MSG from his diet he has not had a migraine.

Ian

Msg excitotoxin. Everyone is better off avoiding it, but I doubt it causes CFS. It does destroy your brain though.

Asklipia

alwayshopeful
How to use a Pendulum : Lesson 1

The Pendulum works as an amplifier. Actually, you KNOW what's in the product, but you are not consciously aware of what it is. The pendulum allows you to see with your eyes what you already know with your body. You may ask all kinds of questions, but make sure that :

- the question can be answered clearly by YES or NO;
- the question relates to the present or the past, not to the future;
- the question is about something that is related to you (history, environment).

Diagnosing is possible but you have to work by elimination and step by step. It only works if YOU know the answer. For example :
"Did the cake I ate yesterday do this to me?" Answer YES or NO. No problem.
"Do I have poliomyelitis?" You cannot answer this because you do not personally know what is poliomyelitis. Unless you have been diagnosed with it rightly in the past and there is a recurrence.
"Is my blood sugar low"? YES or NO. No problem if you have seen blood results one day that showed you that this sensation means low blood sugar.

For detection purposes you can use anything as a pendulum, that is balanced in weight. For example, I am a girl and if in need I can use an earring that would swing equally on all sides. A medal hanging from your neck is fine too if you are outside and have an emergency (gone to the supermarket and forgot your pendulum - this can be a bit more tricky if there is a draught because it would push on the surface of the medal, but when you become a seasoned pendulum swinger, it is no problem anymore). You should start practicing at home with a small object, metallic if possible, hanging from a string/ thread, no more than 20 cm in length. Now I should emphasize that even a sugar cube hanging from 50 cm will work eventually, but not always for the beginner! The pendulum is moved by the electrical influx in your arm and hand. It takes time for this influx to start flowing, and for this to happen it must be unimpeded.

This means that at the beginning of each testing session the influx does not immediately reach your hand (delay) and you may be discouraged and feel that it does not work. Just persevere. After some days of practice the influx will flow immediately.
This also means that some people may find it difficult to get answers because they have blockages along the arm, blockages that will get pushed out and will disappear with practice. Just persevere. Or try the other hand.

There are some occasions when your pendulum will give you wrong answers, when you are too sick, when you are exhausted by climbing the stairs etc, after ingesting alcohol or some medicines, immediately after sunbathing etc. Any time in fact when you do not have enough strength to create the flow. MSG in any form is an energy disruptor and wreaks havoc with pendulum results.

In the beginning you may find pendulum testing tiring. Do not exert yourself. Just try it again a few hours later. You should practice several times a day. Eventually you will find this a formidable weapon in your fight for health.

If you do not live alone, it would be a good idea to teach your partner to test things too. You can both test the product independently and this will help form certitudes.

You should test with the hand you prefer. You can test in any position as long as your arms and legs are not crossed.
For a start, just sit down at a table, rest your elbow on the table and hold the string between thumb and forefinger. You should start by ascertaining which is the movement of the pendulum for yes and no. This is different for each individual.

Many times YES is counterclockwise for ladies, and clockwise for men.
NO is often counterclockwise for men and clockwise for ladies.
But it can be the contrary. Some people do not see their pendulum going in circles, but swinging one way or the other. You should find out this at the start. It will remain consistent in the future.
You just set the pendulum in motion by swinging it slightly forwards and backwards. Let it swing free and ask : Please say YES. Watch what it does. Then ask : Please say NO. And watch what it does.This might come to you immediately, or may take tome time. Once you get consistent answers, just tell me and I shall write Lesson 2 !

I insist on pendulum testing because the only reason we are losing the MSG war is because people cannot make the difference between MSG-free food and the rest. They know something is making them sick, but they doubt this is MSG, since they consume what they believe is MSG-free food and they still are sick.

If you cannot progress to a steady YES or NO after a couple of weeks practice, tell me and I may have a way to unblock it.

Lots of good wishes and Blessings!
Asklipia

Asklipia

I have a feeling corn syrup/maltodextrin may impact some CFSers as well. As its a high concentrate of sugar.

- Corn syrup :
From Dr. Jack Samuels, excitotoxin expert.
"We believe that most, if not all corn syrup contains some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). In producing corn syrup, a carbohydrate, from corn, producers do not take the time nor undertake the expense to remove all protein. The remaining protein is broken down during production, resulting in some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). The final product would also contain free aspartic acid, free phenylalanine, and the free form of the other amino acids found in corn protein.
We believe that high fructose corn syrup may be worse for an MSG-sensitive person than is plain corn syrup because an enzyme is added to high fructose corn syrup, further breaking down any protein that may be present.

- Maltodextrin most of the time contains processed free glutamic acid (MSG). Whenever I tested it for MSG it was positive, meaning that it does contain it, and in a sufficient amount to induce a reaction.

- Sugar : plain sugar does not contain any MSG. Sugar substitutes do.

Be well!
Asklipia

Googsta

Doing Well
Favourite is the word. MSG is extremely addictive.
An easy test to find out where the MSG would lay:
Interview an unhealthy person: What are your favourite foods? And avoid religiously.
I don't doubt that at all Asklipia, but he only had it occasionally (usually if he had a cold or flu) which was why it was so easy to nail it as the problem ;).

Lotus97

There's a conspiracy theory floating around that if a company lists "natural flavors" as one of their ingredients that likely means they add MSG to the product. I couldn't find any solid evidence that this is going on. People are saying that there's a loophole in the law which why they are able to do that. As much as I distrust some of these companies, I'm not reading to buy in to this conspiracy until I see actual proof. I hesitate even posting this because I don't want to spread a false rumor, but someone in another thread posted about it so I would like to know for sure whether or not it's true. I remain skeptical for now. Some people are even saying natural flavors could mean it has aspartame which actually makes me believe them less, but I'm not a chemist or lawyer so who knows?

Asklipia

There's a conspiracy theory floating around that if a company lists "natural flavors" as one of their ingredients that likely means they add MSG to the product. I couldn't find any solid evidence that this is going on. People are saying that there's a loophole in the law which why they are able to do that. As much as I distrust some of these companies, I'm not reading to buy in to this conspiracy until I see actual proof. I hesitate even posting this because I don't want to spread a false rumor, but someone in another thread posted about it so I would like to know for sure whether or not it's true. I remain skeptical for now. Some people are even saying natural flavors could mean it has aspartame which actually makes me believe them less, but I'm not a chemist or lawyer so who knows?

Lotus97 I understand that you are just expressing your opinion, but just as you say, you may or not be qualified to smear other people's opinions by labeling them as "conspiracy theory" :lol:.

I notice that to further discredit "people" who are of the opinion that "natural flavors" are not good for you, you use the well-know amalgam method = introducing false information to disprove proven facts, a bit like growing GMO stuff next to organic farms.
Whether the companies that use "natural flavors" add MSG or not is not at all important, since "natural flavors" are obtained from natural sources by processes which create MSG. So the "natural flavors themselves contain MSG, there is no need to add it.

These are old marketing tricks. Nice try.

The mainstream medical opinion is that we are just depressed/mad, ME/CFE does not exist and when it does, there is no cause for it, except genetic maybe (all our fault) and that there is no way out of it.

Do please yourself and ingest "natural flavors". Just don't ram them down other people's throats.

This debate is so far behind now. Because "natural flavors" are not working as well as they did anyway! Now they are everywhere, their addicts can just buy another product and you cannot sell better than the next company.
The answer to this marketing problem is to modify the taste buds of the customers.
There are new substances made by Senomyx, to make your tastebuds forget you are eating shit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senomyx

They do admit this is making epigenetic changes. But what the hell!!!! All the way merrily to "TASTE" :devil::devil::devil:
We don't know where they put those substances, most probably everywhere if we look at the profits of the company making them as well as the list of the shareholders. We are being modified.
Enjoy your "natural flavors" while you can.

Lots of good wishes!
Be well!
Asklipia
:devil: FFP :devil: