Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(MS) Study (from 1994) showing different results when physicians were blinded vs not blinded

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm just reading a book which mentioned this example

cigana, maryb, wdb and 8 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Quite interesting to see that in this case the 'placebo response' seems to be an effect on the doctors rather than the patients, although the bit about patients guessing their treatments is a bit confusing.

Simon, NK17, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

If I understood correctly a kind of reverse placebo effect targetting the neurologists. Really interesting

4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    cool study.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Avoiding researcher bias is a reason why double blinded experiments are so important. Its also why psychopsychiatry studies cannot be trusted - they cannot be double blinded.

cigana, NK17, jeff_w and 6 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Sort of a double whammy? (I began to wonder if psychopsychiatry is a delusion of psychiatry ... or a Freudian slip ...)

maryb, Simon, NK17 and 4 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

[Humour] Sorry, I couldn't resist. I knew Freud was a drug addict, but a cross-dresser too?

maryb, Valentijn, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  8. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

he was not a drug addict. Cocaine was not considered to be an addictive drug back then.

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Not by the standards of the day, but either sustained cocaine use is addictive, or it isn't, though there would be individual variance in addiction tendency. By today's standards he was a regular drug user, though my understanding is this was not life long. Did he ever give it up? I don't recall.

See more popular forum discussions.