Wanted by Llewellyn King: Member of Congress to take up the ME/CFS cause
Sasha reports on Llewellyn King’s campaign to find a lone Congress member to do the right thing ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MS is still being claimed as partially psychogenic!

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by alex3619, Jun 20, 2014.

1. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

If you have the power you don't get to somatize squat, if you're subject to the power (could be any power) you can easily get to "somatize" a lot.

2. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

So many stories of human suffering. In most families there are stories of abuses and more frequently than not, women get the worst treatment and suffer the worst consequences.

When we fight for ourselves, we fight to get the truth out for all PWME and we fight for all the ones who have preceded us, no matter what gender, race, creed they belong/belonged to.

The above thought really helps me ground my fight.

I fight for my great-grandmother who died after having to seek an illegal abortion and I certainly fight for my grandmother who miraculously survived brutal radiation therapy in the '70, in order to cure her lymphoma.

beaker, natasa778, jimells and 2 others like this.
  3. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    wth is this. isnt this just making it worse :(
    doctors will just prescribe psychotherapy. many ill victims will be poisonous by it and let their real sickness grow to destroy/kill them.

now what do we say when doctor use this theory.
    are there any paper , prove, research to contradict it?

is there a paper for this?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

Yes much worse. Without psychogenic theory you are sick you suffer but you would still have access to medical care, might qualify for disability payments, get support and encouragement from family and friends. You still have some dignity and self-respect left.

With the psychogenic model it will be harder and harder to access proper medical care.
    Friends and family will turn their back on you and attack you instead of supporting you. You might not get any financial support and you may end up homeless. You will constantly try to change your behaviour and fail to improve your condition and yet keep trying because you are so desperate for relief. While you get sicker and sicker you will blame yourself for your misfortune and lose all dignity and self-respect in the process.

I don't think much can be done. You could as well try to argue with a religious fanatic about the non-existence of god.. it's hopeless in most cases.

not all doctors are psych cultists though. switching doctors might often be the best option.

there are some studies that contradict it probably but too many poorly done that pretend the theories are valid.

You can keep looking and collecting them. Since you are just a layperson(i assume you are not a doctor or nurse) they will tend to ignore you no matter how well the research is done.

If you educate yourself on psychosomatic theories you might learn how they think and what not to say and what symptoms might lead to a somatisation disorder diagnosis.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    natasa778 and ahmo like this.
  5. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Don't bother. Doctors with this attitude are impervious to evidence. You might as well show the papers to your dog.

leela, zzz, natasa778 and 1 other person like this.
  6. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA

Cheshire and NK17 like this.
  7. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Leaving for awhile

Considering the fact that researchers have made a significant breakthrough on treatng RRMS form of MS with an actual medical procedure and medicine

Experimental MS treatment halts disease ‘in its tracks’
    By JoNel Aleccia Seattle Times health reporter

A Seattle man is among two dozen MS patients in a promising clinical trial that found high-dose immune-suppressing drugs and stem-cell transplants may stop the progress of the disease in those who've failed usual care....

....Kearny is one of two dozen patients enrolled in the five-year clinical trial that gets its catchy acronym, HALT-MS, from a long title: “High-Dose Immunosuppressive Therapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis.”

....A three-year interim report published recently in the journal JAMA Neurology offered positive results: Nearly 80 percent of those enrolled, including Kearny, not only survived but also showed no increase in disability, relapse of MS symptoms or new brain lesions. Few serious complications or unexpected side effects were reported.

But then again, a course in talk therapy, CBT and GET is still a lot cheaper to alleviate his 'false sickness belief' and will save money for the medical and disability insurance industries...sarcasm intended.:whistle:

beaker, NK17, jimells and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.