• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MS coincedence?

Living Dead

High iNOS is initially a response to an infection, but according to Martin Pall's hypothesis it can keep being activated after the infection is gone, through a vicious circle. So it's not like these two things are totally unrelated. If you have high iNOS, it's very likely (in my understanding) that it's caused by a current or past infection.

The reason I suspect iNOS is that it affects blood vessels locally, which seems interesting in the light of the "sclerosis", which are local areas of dead tissue, possibly due to temporary lack of blood flow.

TrixieStix

Canada has more than 400,000 ME patients, a higher rate than all other countries as far as I'm aware.

Similarly, Canada has the highest MS rates.

Its a curious coincidence if the govt's stats are correct.

Perhaps it could be that Canada has done a better job of diagnosing ME/CFS/SEID patients than other countries?

Chrisb

The more I read, the more confused I become. I do not understand how the experts are using words, or even whether they understand it themselves.

This is the final paragraph of the first article:

"Reports of MS clusters do come up periodically around the world, but they are very difficult to prove and usually turn out to be coincidence, according to Dr. Ruth Ann Marrie, an epidemiologist and the director of the MS Clinic at the University of Manitoba."

This is the title of the second:

"Cluster or co-incidence?...."

The implication seems clear. For a "cluster" to occur the cases must not be coincidental. Therefor, presumably, aetiology of all cases must first be established and shown to be consistent. But I thought MS was a disease of unknown pathogenesis. If pathogenesis is unknown how can it be known whether cases are coincidental?

This seems to be at odds with the definition in the article helpfully referred to by @barbc56 at #8

"True clusters of MS
A true cluster of MS means that there is a significantly higher incidence of definite MS in an area than expected. Surprising as it sometimes seems, however, an apparently extraordinary number of MS cases in a neighborhood or county may turn out to be the “expected” number."

So, according to this all you have to show is definite diagnosis, and abnormal incidence, aetiology being irrelevant.

Ideas anyone?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
"Cluster or co-incidence?...."
I agree their use of the terms is confusing. A cluster is just a cluster. It could be down to a co-incidence or another cause. It can be expected or unexpected. So saying "cluster or co-incidence" as if both can't be true at the same time leads to confusion.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Perhaps it could be that Canada has done a better job of diagnosing ME/CFS/SEID patients than other countries?

hahahaha!!!!

Not laughing at you TrishMafia, just the idea that the Canadian healthcare system has done anything but harm to ME patients made me laugh out loud.

Canada has near zero ME research funding and the political and healthcare systems have actively ignored ME patients for decades in what is best described as the necropolitics of ME patients.

Mij

hahahaha!!!!

Not laughing at you TrishMafia, just the idea that the Canadian healthcare system has done anything but harm to ME patients made me laugh out loud.

Canada has near zero ME research funding and the political and healthcare systems have actively ignored ME patients for decades in what is best described as the necropolitics of ME patients.

It seems to me that it was much better 25-30 years ago.

Izola

I pose another question. What are the chances of lottery winning clusters in a discreet geological area? From a discreet seller? I mean clusters, not just 2,3 or 4.

What are the chances o a governmental investigation? I suspect greater than cancer cluster investigations. iz

TrixieStix

It seems to me that it was much better 25-30 years ago.

hahahaha!!!!

How did the Canadian Criteria come about? Has it been used by doctors in Canada?

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
How did the Canadian Criteria come about? Has it been used by doctors in Canada?

Health Canada directed a committee to develop the CCC for physicians - then failed to distribute it to physicians.

I saw a new physician, just out of medical school, and she had no idea about ME but said she was going to do some research. I pointed her to Naviaux and Hanson as a place to start.

The Canadian healthcare system fails ME patients at every level: no research funding - no researchers - no research - no doctor education - no diagnosis - no testing - no treatment - no access to disability supports.

RRR

Day 5 of Minocycline and I am actually having periods where the brain fog seems to be lifting and I am getting a bit of clarity. Can it begin to work that quickly?