Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MS: A phase IIa randomized clinical study testing GNbAC1, a humanized monoclonal antibody...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, May 29, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I came across this via a Tweet by the WPI.

The study is testing a monoclonal antibody against the envelope protein of an endogenous retrovirus found expressed in MS lesions. This study only tests that the antibody is safe (in just 10 patients), and it was found to be safe. But perhaps it could lead to some interesting results and one to watch out for in the future?

A phase IIa randomized clinical study testing GNbAC1, a humanized monoclonal antibody against the envelope protein of multiple sclerosis associated endogenous retrovirus in multiple sclerosis patients — A twelve month follow-up
    Journal of Neuroimmunolgy.
    Tobias Derfuss et al.
    August 2015
    Published online May 2015
    http://www.jni-journal.com/article/S0165-5728(15)00143-5/fulltext

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Ritto, alex3619, Woolie and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    The free access article below provides some background information that I found useful in understanding what this is about. (apologies if this is covered elsewhere in the forums)

Curr Neuropharmacol. 2011 Jun; 9(2): 360–369.
    Human Endogenous Retroviruses in Multiple Sclerosis: Potential for Novel Neuro-Pharmacological Research
    F.P Ryan*

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3131726/

Abstract
    There is growing evidence that the env genes of two or more human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) of the W family are contributing to the inflammatory processes, and thus to the pathogenesis, of multiple sclerosis (MS). Increasing understanding of the human endogenous retroviral locus, ERVWE1, and the putative multiple sclerosis associated retrovirus, or MSRV, and in particular of the HERV-W env sequences associated with these, offers the potential of new lines of pharmacological research that might assist diagnosis, prognosis and therapy of multiple sclerosis.

ahmo, Woolie and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.