August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MRI of head question

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by xrayspex, Oct 25, 2012.

1. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    I had one earlier this year and it said fluid in rt max sinus cavity. does anyone know if that would be seen in anyone if they were stuffed up or runny nose? I dont actually have much complaints about those issues but I am just trying to figure out if it can mean anything or if most people have fluid in there.

2. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  3. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Hi xrayspex,

Drs will offer all manner of treatments for sinus issues from the sublime to the rediculous (speaking from experience!). Most offer only a temporary fix, if that...and ENT surgeons are obliged to tell you that LOL.

I have come to the conclusion, that sinus issues are one more sign, of an underlying connective tissue disorder (genetic or metabolic in origin). No doubt any primary immune defciency contributes as well.

Sinus Queen,

meryl

4. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Meryl, do you think its odd that I dont have much complaint of runny or stuffy nose tho? no history of known infections.........atlho the reason they did mri was my complaint of awful killer headaches. they said the mri was normal but noted the fluid in sinus. would one at least suspect infection then with headaches and fluid? but what then, antibiotics? which is quandry.

5. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Yes antibiotics conventionally, but they always guess instead of doing a culture to see what's there. Then if you have underlying connective tissue disorder or immune deficiency, it just comes back again.

MRI brain can only pick up gross abnormalities.

xrayspex likes this.
  6. Nielk

Nielk

If you go to an ENT, they could take a culture and really see what's going on.

xrayspex likes this.
  7. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    would the culture hurt or be very invasive? thanks for info you guys

8. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  9. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    My husband had a sinus infection with killer headache, but no congestion, runny nose, etc. at all. But his CT scan showed a ton of mucous in the sinus cavities themselves. So I guess you can have one without noticing the other.

I would trust the MRI rather than your lack of stuffy nose in determining whether there's a problem. What you choose to do about it is another story. Apparently a lot of times they go away on their own (at least certain types do), but they can also get very serious if they get out of control (come with a risk of bone infection, etc. which is really bad). I learned way too much about all of this with my husband's because his had apparently been brewing in there for a long time unnoticed and they were really worried about it.

I hope that yours resolves quickly either way.

See more popular forum discussions.