A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MRC grants 1990-2010

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JohntheJack, Aug 6, 2017.

1. JohntheJack

JohntheJack Senior Member

Swansea, UK
    I've often seen stated that the MRC didn't fund a single biological study into ME for the whole of the 1990-2010 period. Does anyone know for sure whether that's true, please? (Or, even better provide evidence for it?) Thanks.

2. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    @Graham looked at some of data I think.

JohntheJack and Esther12 like this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Hi @JohntheJack : it's true enough. They have only funded 6 biomedical trials since 1990 - probably since pre-1980 judging from the correspondence that was locked away in Kew. Five of them were in response to the demands by 123 MPs in 2011 when they signed an Early Day Motion: the other was a follow-up to one of them. The total came to £1.6 million plus the follow-up.

I have a spreadsheet from the MRC that covers that period: it was on their website. When I found out these results, I checked with them and they were unable to add any more. Oddly enough, their spreadsheet disappeared from the website, but I still have the copy. Mind you, they didn't fund that many psychosocial studies into ME either.

NIHR (the research arm of the NHS) has similar research funding, and has spend nothing at all: I have a massive database that can be trawled, but it takes ages to separate fatigue, chronic fatigue, CFS etc. Again I wrote to them to check and they couldn't give me any examples; they said that they did provide equipment and services to biomedical studies (but I bet they charged them). Strangely enough their database disappeared as well, but eventually I tracked it down and have a copy of that.

The massive charity that funds an enormous amount of research - Wellcome Trust - has funded nothing.

Demepivo, JohntheJack, AndyPR and 3 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12

It might be trick to even say what a 'biological study' is? Does Wessely's autonomic study count, which found abnormalities but which he argued were likely a result of deconditioning and not worth investigating?

Haven't they now agreed funding for the ME biobank the MEA is involved with? edit: As was pointed out below, it's just that this project has been moved through to the next round of assessment for funding, not that funding was agreed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Valentijn and Cheshire like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    JohntheJack likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

CFS/ME projects funded by the MRC: Those projects live from 1993/4* to June 2008:

*really from 1990.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    JohntheJack likes this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

8. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    I think so, but my comment was historic rather than present.

Esther12 and JohntheJack like this.
  9. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Actually, I put in a fairly detailed complaint to the MRC, and received a lengthy but relatively useless reply.

JohntheJack likes this.
  10. JohntheJack

Swansea, UK
    That's great. Thanks very much, Graham. And good work on getting all the facts.

Graham likes this.
  11. JohntheJack

Swansea, UK
    Fair point, I suppose. Definitions can run into each other.

Esther12 likes this.
  12. JohntheJack

Swansea, UK
    That's great. Thanks, Dolphin.

Dolphin likes this.
  13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    I had thought that the funding application had just got through to the next stage.

Dolphin, Graham and Esther12 like this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12

You're right. My mistake.

See more popular forum discussions.