Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MRC funding for ME research in year 2009/10 - Only 109,000?

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Bob, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    The UK government has given answers in parliament that MRC funding for ME research in the year 2009/10 was only 100,000 or 109,000.

This seems like a very small figure... I was wondering if it is a mistake or if it is accurate... Does anyone have any further info on it?

It's also interesting to note that the UK government has not commissioned any research on the relationship between XMRV and ME (see the highlighted text, above.)

2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Also,
    Does anyone know if the written answer will be automatically published on some sort of parliamentary website, or would I have write to Lord Skelmersdale to find out what the answer is?

3. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Excellent question/distinction by Lord Skelmersdale - finally, someone asked an intelligent question about biological (biomedical) research specifically, to get to the bottom of the matter.

I expect we'll find out that figure was for the PACE trial (illness 'managment') or some version thereof - unless it was for the 1st ever MRC funded biomedical (negative XMRV) study by Bishop/Kerr et al.

I'm not sure where you might find the answer Bob, might be worth writing to Lord Skelmersdale.

Thanks for posting.

4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Have written to Lord Skelmersdale... will keep the forum updated with any replies.

5. Min

Min Guest

UK
    thanks Bob

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Thanks Bob, to get previous years figures we have had to put in FOI requests. Hope they have an answer for us. Good luck and thanks!

7. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    And who can move the MRC - blinkered as yet.

8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Bob, not sure if you have had a reply yet? The Countess of Mar has sent this

Prof White et al – the PACE trial - 73, 405

Dr Clark – General and specific risk markers & preventative factors for chronic fatigue and irritable bowel syndromes 42,698

Dr a Weardon – Randomised controlled trial of nurse led self-help treatment for primary care patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (FINE) - 6982 (this figure related to a reconcilement payment at the end of the tenure of this grant).

9. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I got a reply from Lord Skelmersdale today...

The written answer from the Department of Health is as follows:

In summary, the MRC's funding for ME/CFS, for the year 2009-10, is as follows:

Grants given:
    73,405 (Professor P White et al - The PACE trial)
    42,698 (Dr C Clark)​

Total grants given: 116,103

Funds returned: -6,892

Total MRC funding figure for 2009/10 = 109,211 (This corresponds to the figure given in answers in parliament of 109,000)

10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Thanks ukxmrv... It looks like they are sharing information with each other...

Note that the 6982 figure is a negative figure, for funds returned to the MRC.

11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I think that these figures mean that there was zero funding for biomedical research for ME/CFS for 2009/10.

The 'Dr C Clark' study looks like it is not laboratory biomedical research, but rather a case of sifting through medical records.

I find it hard to understand why the funding for ME could have been at such a pathetic, almost non-existent funding figure, with zero funding for biomedical research. It's scandalous.

I wonder if there are any other similar neurological diseases, such as MS, which received zero funding for biomedical research. And I wonder what the funding figure was for MS for the same year.

12. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for the info Bob. Long hard battle for the Countess of Mar over so many years now. Just feel the MRC are all over the place with PACE funding. At least IBS (viral) has collected something. And nurse led self help - how can that help when the real thing is so misunderstood (as yet).

13. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Do we know whether this is because the MRC is denying CFS research funding or whether there are just not many UK doctors interested in CFS research and so not many grant applications have been made ?

14. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    The MRC says it is due to a lack of quality research applications, but Jonathan Kerr has demonstrated that his grant applications were effectively blocked by psychiatrist referee/referees on the MRC's grant giving panel.
    Kerr said that he typically received scores of 9,8,3 for his applications where the '3' was from a psychiatrist which had the effect of blocking the application.
    I believe that researchers are driven out of the field by a lack of funding. Jonathan Kerr certainly was.

15. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Not many Doctors at all interested here yet. Too much baggage from the psychos. But Science (mostly US) should (and does blood ban) open their eyes to this real illness. Just seen blockage of Jonathan Kerr which simply confirms the worst in the cronyism here in Medicine.

See more popular forum discussions.