Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MRC awards the psychiatric department at King's College a third of a million for CFS research

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Would you describe your experience of ME as being 'tired and run down'? No, neither would I. Whoever wrote this sentence has no concept of how a person with ME 'feels'.

The psychiatric department at King's College London (now who is it that works there? :() has been awarded a third of a million pounds by the MRC to undertake the research below. Now why couldn't they give it to some serious and appropriate research into the actual disease ME? Well, I guess we can all provide some answers to that.:p:whistle:

http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/project/F3584D06-7F9C-44E0-A049-B66D08452816

Esther12, Woolie and Valentijn like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Ah Trudie! We meet again...

Countrygirl and halcyon like this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

If I understand the webpage correctly, that study was funded in 2012.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I found the description a bit 'wall o'text' so I've broken it up for easier reading:

SOC and Countrygirl like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Sounds very biomedical to me...

8. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Wow, quite a quack-fest! I suppose the purpose will be to prove that there is no difference between fatigue patients and healthy people (except our beliefs that we are ill), and/or CBT regulates the immune system. A suitable methodology will be developed to guarantee one or both of these outcomes.

Woolie, jimells, mango and 8 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Why on earth, if they are really studying the immune system, isn't the money going to the immunology department, instead of the psychiatric department, who for some reason put "immune system" in quotation marks as if there is some doubt as to its existence?

MEMum, Woolie, moosie and 12 others like this.
  10. Valentijn

Except that they're basing it on fatigue patients, while calling it CFS, and will undoubtedly equate it to ME in the process.

Several of the authors are well-known psychobabblers who are in the habit of (deliberately?) producing negative results when carrying out very limited biological research.

MEMum, Woolie, mango and 5 others like this.
  11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    'Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a medical condition in which patients feel persistently and overwhelmingly tired and run down, both physically and mentally'

this has never described my illness from the day it struck me down.........what on earth are they talking about, dolts, all of them.

MEMum, mango, SOC and 5 others like this.
  12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Annie Gsampel

Scotland
    Yes, it's an old one. It was one of the five studies the MRC funded several years ago.

Warning: no ME/CFS patients were included in this study!

It used Hep C patients administered interferon-alpha as a model for CFS (interferon-alpha induces fatigue in most people.) So they studied fatigue that might have something or nothing to do with us.

MEMum, SOC, catly and 1 other person like this.
  13. Valentijn

A comment from Carmine Pariente in December 2012, regarding someone else's paper:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1169912504863162_comment.pdf

Esther12, Woolie, jimells and 5 others like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Sounds like the psychobabble explanation is already being prepared.

The study description sounds fine but it's the people involved that are toxic and have an agenda.

Woolie, Cheshire and maryb like this.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Some of the authors don't inspire confidence but do we know what the inclusion criteria are?

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Annie Gsampel

Scotland
    They seem only to be aware of the Oxford research criteria - hence it's perfectly acceptable (in their own minds) to study any fatigued people they chose and call it a CFS study.

They certainly don't appear to be acquainted with UK clinical criteria for ME/CFS.

Valentijn, SOC and Sasha like this.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    My bad - I misread it and thought they were following up Hep C patients who had developed CFS. Not the kind of study I thought it was.

Scarecrow likes this.
  18. msf

msf Senior Member

'This phenomenon strikingly resembles CFS, which, as mentioned above, also persists after the infective/immune trigger has been eliminated.'

Ah, jumping to conclusions, the hallmark of good science.

19. msf

msf Senior Member

I think you are supposed to say something like 'this resembles CFS, which is also believed to persist after the infective/immune trigger has been eliminated.'

Of course, I learnt that from reading dozens and dozens of scientific papers, so perhaps I am expecting too much.

Scarecrow likes this.
  20. msf

msf Senior Member

'Specifically, infections are always accompanied by acute fatigue and flu-like symptoms, as a consequence of the infection-driven immune activation; however, in patients with CFS the immune activation and the associated fatigue and flu-like symptoms persist for months or years.'

Wait a minute, I feel a thought coming on, yes, wait a minute, no, it's gone again...

jimells likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.