Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Moving the Goal Posts to Catch the Ball and Other Hazards of A CFS Treatment Trial" (Patient POV)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Comet, Esther12 and 6 others like this.
  2. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    I think Whites latest comments are a bit like a goal keeper moving the goal posts and then complaining that the referee is moving them when putting them back.

3. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    "The trial serves as a model for how not to conduct a clinical trial and criticism of it has been abundant, as Rehmeyer explains. Worse still, its conclusions that exercise and cognitive behavior therapy are effective have underpinned clinical practice guidelines around the world. That’s a bad thing because the conduct of the trial was questionable, making its recommendations moot and harmful to patients."

ahmo and Solstice like this.
  4. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    This is an incorrect and misguided way of conjoining two important and fair claims. Whether the recommendations are harmful is a matter of objective fact. If, as seems to be the case, the what is recommended is unlikely to do good and likely to do harm to people with this illness, that is not because of the dodgy and incompatent conduct of the trial, but because ME just doesn't work this way. That would still have been the case even if the conduct of the trial was exemplary or if it was even more questionable than it is.

The article alludes to another important fact, which in my opinion has more to do with the sad state of affairs in the field of Me/CFS medicine than any malicious machinations on the part of governments and business interests. The mythology of "the power of positive thinking" is a real blight and one of the main drags on human progress in the modern world. What makes it so insidious is that it is so nebulous and so deepli ingrained that its agents are often unaware of it themselves.

See more popular forum discussions.