• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mouth peeling skin etc.

Francelle

For months now, perhaps even about one year I've had peeling skin in my mouth, as well as a mucocele which comes up several times per day..........well this afternoon I was in the car (with my husband driving) and we were heading west towards the setting sun. I happened to pull down the visor mirror as I had more skin peeling from the roof of my mouth and coincidentally noticed crimson crescents that I have heard people here talk about before and swore that I did not have.........I was quite surprised. Obviously I need to get brighter lights in my bathroom - lol, as had never noticed them before.

Anyway my question is not so much about crimson crescents but about peeling skin in the mouth. Am I the only rarity that has this? Also have geographic tongue so my mouth is a hotbed of strange happenings!!!

Merry

Hi, Francelle.

I've had peeling skin on the roof of my mouth quite often through the years. Also blisters -- and then the skin may peel. Geographic tongue I don't know about. Must look this up. If you haven't noticed before that you have crimson crescents, maybe I just haven't noticed that my tongue is geographic. I love that expression, "geographic tongue." "Hotbed of strange happenings" indeed!

Francelle

Interesting that you use the term blisters, Merry! That is exactly what mucoceles look like - look up mucocele on Google and you may find that is what you actually have.

The geographic tongue is so weird as it includes red circles on the tongue that move around throughout the day. They say it is a benign condition but the sicker I am the worse it becomes, 100% of the time. This has been happening for ten or eleven years now even before I got ill with M.E.. I can often gauge my day based on how my tongue is, early on in the morning. Benign indeed??? I am yet to be convinced especially when it is associated with other health issues.

The peeling skin in the mouth is also strange. The lack of many replies here possibly indicates that we are rare indeed Merry .....but then of course it is only one of many, many odd symptoms that we have and probably an inconsequential/albeit annoying one! Lol!

Merry

Hello, Francelle.

Thanks for the new word, mucocele. I did google, and in the several pictures I looked at, the mucocele was much larger than the blisters I get. Mine are tiny and in a patch, several together. Henceforth referred to as mucocele petite (like I know French).

Once during a routine dental exam, the dentist expressed concern about the appearance of the roof of my mouth (it had been sore in one area for several days, but I considered the problem ordinary and hadn't mentioned it to him). He said the word "cancer" and referred me to an oral surgeon. But by the time of my appointment with the oral surgeon a couple of weeks later, the soreness was gone, and that doctor saw nothing unusual in my mouth.

Somewhere here on PR is a thread that is mostly photos of PR members' crimson crescents accompanied by many silly and suggestive comments.

Edit: Here it is:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...crimson-crescents&highlight=crimson+crescents

Boule de feu

I have researched this a lot since I have been dealing with mouth peeling for quite some time now (5 years?). One thing that must be considered is an allergic reaction to toothpaste. In my case, i have noticed that Crest pro-health does that. Crest sensitivities does not. I also get it when I eat mayonnaise. I don't know if it could be the same for you. Check what you eat. Sometimes I don't get it right away, so it's difficult to figure out what causes it.

Boule de feu

This is from a forum on the subject:

Examples of causes are: water softeners, chlorine, mouthwashes, toothpastes with special detergents (such as tartar control or complete formulas), overuse of lozenges, mints, and chewable vitamins. You can also get this from taking powdered aspirin formulas and phenol containing agents.