• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mouth issue

taniaaust1

I dont know if Ive got the following cause i burnt my mouth several days ago (forgot some boiling water in a glass was hot and took a big mouthful) or if its due to something else?

I developed a rough patch (half size of finger nail) in my mouth.. its on that moist area of my inner lip where things are usually very smooth. When i looked at the area in the mirror it appeared to have a heap of tiny splits in that area (it isnt blistered nor did it appear ulcerated, it wasnt red). Today thou the area has gone completely white and it has another smaller white area a finger width away from it. The area isnt at all sore.

Im wondering what others think this may be? fungus?? something to do with burning my mouth days ago? (thou wouldnt that not be all roughed up feeling skin?). Has anyone else had this happen?

gregf

Hey Tania,

I have no clear answer for you but...

I always have a little mouth trouble in one form or another. And I have had something like you describe.
I also get dry lips and always pick a them and I get rough patches inside the lip as well.

It may be the burn, or it may be something to do with ME. If it does not get worse, give it a little time to see what happens.

Mouth ulcers are often due to not enough fresh vegetables and/or stress.

ukxmrv

Tania, I'm guessing that it is the burn.

A problem that I've had my whole life (and preceedes the ME) is a very sensive mouth area. Contact with hot water like that would cause a rough, raised area with white dots for me. Very cold things could cause the same problem.

As a child I had to be careful with any sweets or rougher foods. Even brushing my teeth had to be done carefully. If I nicked an area I got a mouth ulcer.

I don't know what would suddenly cause this for you though (i.e. increased sensitivity). It didn't change when I did all the anti-candida diets and drugs years ago.

It's possible that you got the initial burn and then mouth fungas or bacteria have moved in. Gargling with tea-tree helps me with all the mouth injury problems.

Hoping it clears up soon.