• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mountain View Accommodations

Isaiah 58:11

I've made an appointment to see Dr. Kaufman. Does anyone here have a recommendation of a good (preferably cheap) place to stay in his area? One of the places I was looking at came up on search as having bed bugs. :nervous:

SwanRonson

We stayed in the Super 8 on El Camino Real: Google Maps Link. It was the "cheapest" of the decent hotels. You won't find a clean hotel anywhere in that area for less than about $150 unless you get really lucky. I just looked at my budget from then (2016) and we paid $148 per night.

BeautifulDay

I agree. I'm an Airbnb fan. Renting a room in a cottage or home with 4.5 stars with 45+ reviewers has not let me down yet.

Personally, I'd stay in Santa Cruz, and drive the hour. I LOVE Santa Cruz.

I also like Turo for cheap car rentals.

JaimeS

We looked at a lot of Airbnb before we went. They were all more expensive than just a hotel. There’s no getting around the fact that mt. view is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. Stinks, but it’s a beautiful place that’s for sure.

Def you can find cheaper accommodations using Air B N B, but you do have to know in advance that you're going. The cheaper rooms sell out fast.

I'd say a nice room in the Mountain View area should go from about $90 to $160. A whole cabin or house to yourself will be more.

bspg

Plant Queen
I stayed in Sunnyvale which was a 10 minute Uber ride to the clinic. Prices in Sunnyvale were cheaper than Mountain View and fluctuate all the time. I'd advise keeping an eye on prices there and booking when they dip.

TrixieStix

I've made an appointment to see Dr. Kaufman. Does anyone here have a recommendation of a good (preferably cheap) place to stay in his area? One of the places I was looking at came up on search as having bed bugs. :nervous:
I had a great experience staying here back in January when I was down there to see Dr. Chheda. It's a family owned place. http://paloaltocountryinn.com/ (also if you tell them your in town for medical care they will give you a discount)

the room had a small refrigerator and microwave as well.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Two years ago I stayed at a Motel 6 in Sunnyvale - it was nice for a Motel 6, very clean and the look had been updated. It was $99 a night then, I just checked and unfortunately the cost has gone up but is still one of the cheaper ones.

Gingergrrl

Between OMI, being in hospital at El Camino, and an assessment at Stanford, I have been up there about seven times (none recently). We stayed in Mountainview, Sunnyvale, and Palo Alto and Sunnyvale is definitely the cheapest of the three. I'd really have to dig through old notes or receipts to find the info (some of which we lost to mold!) but @Isaiah 58:11 if you cannot find anything, let me know and I will try to find the info for you.

Sorry for late post but I stayed at Country Inn Motel on El Camino Real ... $184 a night google maps tells me today.

If you are driving - between CFS and unfamiliar surroundings and Bay traffic its a lot of stress. The above place has ample easy parking right next to rooms, motel is right on the street, there is a light and left turn signal right at the motel so you can double back to Dr. Kaufman's place which isn't too far east of there. Good free breakfast muffins from local bakery and cheap coke machine ha ha (at least in Nov 2015). Rooms pretty nice really - can't remember if refrigerator or microwave.

TrixieStix

Sorry for late post but I stayed at Country Inn Motel on El Camino Real ... $184 a night google maps tells me today.

If you are driving - between CFS and unfamiliar surroundings and Bay traffic its a lot of stress. The above place has ample easy parking right next to rooms, motel is right on the street, there is a light and left turn signal right at the motel so you can double back to Dr. Kaufman's place which isn't too far east of there. Good free breakfast muffins from local bakery and cheap coke machine ha ha (at least in Nov 2015). Rooms pretty nice really - can't remember if refrigerator or microwave.
This is also where I stayed and it was great. My room had a small refrigerator and a microwave.

When I checked in they asked what we were in town for and when I mentioned that I was there for a doctor appt they gave me a 5% discount. Lovely family owner business

Thank you. I ended up finding a great deal on a same-day roundtrip flight - it is actually cheaper than driving and doesn't rope anyone into going with me.

I don't imagine I will get that lucky every time, so I will definitely check that out for the future.

TrixieStix

Thank you. I ended up finding a great deal on a same-day roundtrip flight - it is actually cheaper than driving and doesn't rope anyone into going with me.

I don't imagine I will get that lucky every time, so I will definitely check that out for the future.

Do expect to be your appt to last at least 3 hours. My first appt with Dr. Chheda earlier this year (before the move to new clinic) had me at the clinic for at least that long. Spent 2 hours with the doctor, blood draw, and checking out/paying the bill (and some waiting between those things).

Do expect to be your appt to last at least 3 hours. My first appt with Dr. Chheda earlier this year (before the move to new clinic) had me at the clinic for at least that long. Spent 2 hours with the doctor, blood draw, and checking out/paying the bill (and some waiting between those things).

Well that is worrisome! That might make me miss my (non-refundable) flight. I called and asked if the appointments ran late and they said never more than 10-15 minutes.

I have no idea what I would do in that situation!

Well that is worrisome! That might make me miss my (non-refundable) flight. I called and asked if the appointments ran late and they said never more than 10-15 minutes.

If you're worried, I think you should just let them know and they'll make sure you're in and out in time.

I've been to the new clinic three times now, and although they share space with a lab they are not affiliated with it. I used to get a little weary at OMI because of the long wait times between my appointment ant my blood draw. But now I just leave with my lab requisition and go to a Quest lab near home at my convenience.

TrixieStix

If you're worried, I think you should just let them know and they'll make sure you're in and out in time.

I've been to the new clinic three times now, and although they share space with a lab they are not affiliated with it. I used to get a little weary at OMI because of the long wait times between my appointment ant my blood draw. But now I just leave with my lab requisition and go to a Quest lab near home at my convenience.
There isn't any bloodwork they want to draw themselves at the office anymore? This would surprise me. When I saw Dr. Chheda in January I told her I wanted to do any blood tests that could be done at any ol' Quest lab back home (washington state) for insurance reasons, but there were still labs that had to be drawn right then and there at Dr. Chheda's office such as Natural Killer Cell Function, etc because that test can only be run at the Quest lab near the office (only like 2 labs in country can do this test and 1 is there) plus the test has to be run within hours of the blood draw.

TrixieStix

I would call and confirm whether or not you will need to have blood drawn there at the office or a lab near the office because at least 1 of the labs Dr. Chheda ran on me required that the blood be drawn there in Mountain View as that is the nearest lab in the country to me that has the ability to run the test. Thus doing the blood work back home was not an option. I was able to do have many of the labs ran at a Quest here in Washington State where I live, but not all of them thus why I had to get blood drawn after my appt before I headed home.

I would call and confirm whether or not you will need to have blood drawn there at the office or a lab near the office because at least 1 of the labs Dr. Chheda ran on me required that the blood be drawn there in Mountain View as that is the nearest lab in the country to me that has the ability to run the test. Thus doing the blood work back home was not an option.
I agree that would be a good idea, but the cancellation window on my ticket closed a few weeks ago. I will just have to do as suggested and let them know up front. I will also plan on getting there early, if possible, and ask to pay before the appointment.

And I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring a backpack with the basics in case I get stuck.