Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mother of ME child labelled with Munchausen's until she studied medicine

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Countrygirl, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    This mother fought for ten years to attempt to convince doctors that her daughter was ill. She was accused of having Munchausen's by Proxy..........................until she decided to study medicine. The video is her talk about what she believes is the root of her child's problem ----chimerism. The daughter was eventually labelled with ME, POTS and EDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...4503534&v=rPqJHneBatA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-09-30/mothers-battle-to-get-daughters-illness-diagnosed/
    Mother's battle to get daughter's illness diagnosed

Roy S, Woolie, taniaaust1 and 2 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Chimerism, really? I doubt very much that is the cause for most ME patients.

3. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Funny, that last quote sounds like what my friends say about me

4. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

incredible abuse from the medical system. sad that this still happens in our modern age.

natasa778 and tatt like this.
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Are there any updates since 2012?
    Barb

6. Countrygirl

UK
    Hello Barb, I haven't been able to find any, but I have left a message for a friend of hers. If she responds, I will post it here.

barbc56 likes this.
  7. Countrygirl

UK
    barbc56 likes this.
  8. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    With friends like that, who needs enemies?

9. free at last

free at last Senior Member

I am afraid with that other stuff on there, there will be a lot of distancing from this. You cant have two things that generate disbelief on the same page. You would be surprised how pre conceived learning, can lead to blind judgmental approach to many things in life.

Without ultimate proof. ME/CFS what ever the hell it is. will be judged on more than just the evidence, I know. because I see many in life do the same, that also have this illness, On other topics. that don't quite come up to the ultimate proof expectation. some require to have a open mind about anything in particular. me included I guess.

You would be surprised that even when quite strong evidence is presented, highly suggestive, again and again, from many credible sources. Some just can not see that such evidence could potentially have merit.

I am afraid like it or not this is the human belief system. at work. And ME /CFS will be affected by this belief evidence based human perception, by many many people. infact I just commented on another thread with this very problem

What is evidence for one, is not good enough evidence for another. And so its the same problem in many respects. I personally have a hard time believing in anything spiritual. As far as I am aware something spiritual has not been picked up on radar for example. But as long as there is a alternative theory, however increasingly unlikely that becomes or seems, Some will always prefer the alternative theory.This does work both ways. Depending on your personal reasons for believing or not believing in anything particular.
    And so it is the same with any evidence that doesn't satisfy everyone.

But when illness bites you on the bum. Or you have a experience that defies your current understanding, that evidence becomes easier to swallow I guess. But not for everybody. And we will see that again and again in society, about many things. rightly or wrongly.
    Including illness belief.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.