• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Most ignorant physicians - neurologists?

SuzieSam

Yeah I'm thinking about switching. Although my current GP is onto it enough to realise that there's something wrong with my health and has referred me to a neurologist and immunologist in the past. I didn't get accepted to the immunologist. Ive now convinced her to refer me to a rheumatologist. So although she doesn't know anything about ME she has her good points.

I am glad that youve found a doctor who can recognise and treat your illness. Must be an amazing feeling to finally have that.

If she's accepted you actually have a problem, after 14 useless lumps, she might be a keeper! I hope the rheumatologist is of use to you. Maybe he can recommended you be seen by the immunologist if he can't help? Throwing professional weight behind it should make a difference. :hug:

It's fan bloody tastic to be with a doctor who's serious about my health. I wish the same for you, ASAP :)

SuzieSam

In my experience, there are physicians who, if they don't understand a test well, presume that it's unimportant. I sh!t you not. The arrogance is breathtaking: I don't recognize it, and I'm definitely aware of everything I need to know to do my job..

Wow, you must have been furious. What an incompetent moron. What other things has that doctor ignored in her career? Thank goodness that omission didn't endanger your health.

"What's that? I dunno? Who cares? Whatever, dude!" Seems to be the lazy attitude here. But they're not mail room employees! This is our damn lives!

I'm not looking forward to seeing my GP and telling her I'm taking bioidentical hormones, and a T3 only thyroid medication (not government endorsed here) instead of thyroxine. Actually, screw that! I AM looking forward to telling her!

If she doesn't like it, it's high time I changed Primary Care Provider. Care? Yeah, right!

alex3619

I can hardly believe that yesterday I spent nearly 2 hours (!) with a doctor and didn't get that frustrating cognitive dissonance between the sensible, progressive medical wisdom I've read on-line, and my real-world experiences.
We see the bad so often its nice to sometimes see the good. A good doctor is very valuable to us.

alex3619

Actually, screw that! I AM looking forward to telling her!
Good for you! :thumbsup: It might make waves or have consequences, but if nobody challenges them then nothing changes. Consequences don't always mean for the worst, they can also be for the better. I am waiting to the day when doctors routinely get reported to medical authorities for how they treat ME patients.

Kenny Banya

And as per another thread, I have just become aware of a neurologist, Suzanne O'Sullivan, who released a book that covered CFS & it supposedly being 'all in one's head'
LOL.