• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More tired since starting Methycobalamin

Kir

Just started on my MTHFR protocol last week. I started off at 1/2 tab for 6 days then upped to one whole tab. Since being on the regimine, I find that my usual fatigue is more profound. I feel almost zombie like and mildly depressed. My MTHFR ND says that starting on the B12 first is essential, before adding in the Methylfolate, so I am not on the MF yet. I also started back on Vit. D and probiotics. Maybe my tiredness and depression is a healing crisis from the probiotics, as I've also had some off and on increase in muscle and joint pain, which happens when I get a herx from various supps, and which also has also happened in the past when resuming probiotics. I am Hetero for MTHFR, and I have 19 other sub mutations, i.e. CBS, etc.. My levels for B12 are moderately low and for folic acid, extremely low.

That being said, I would say that overall I think my heart palps and racing are noticably less. This has been a huge problem for me over the years. They certainly are not gone, but improved. I have also been having a ton of anxiety attacks and vagus nerve like reactions and I think that has improved slightly as well, since starting the Methylcobalamin. Also not having the usual side effects I've had when I've taken regular B12 in the past (could not tolerate it at all), so I am glad that I am tolerating the methyl version so well. Can starting up the Methylcobalmin being causing the increased fatigue, or is most likely the probiotics? Thanks.

caledonia

This is why it's better to start one new thing at a time, then wait several days before adding the next thing, so you know what is doing what. Keep a symptom journal as to what you're starting and any symptoms, good or bad.

It doesn't sound like a probiotic reaction to me. I would have to guess it's the B12 - could be metal detox? Those sound similar to my metal detox symptoms. You might want to reduce your amount of B12 to a level where it's better tolerated, as metal detox can last for many months. Then be super careful on any amounts of folate that you add - start really tiny and go really slow.

Have you already treated for CBS, and any other First Priority mutations (SHMT, ACAT)?