• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

more psychiatric fairy stories

G

Gerwyn

A number of studies sponsored by our friends in psychiatry have quoted r values in their claims re causative factors in Me/cfs

for a start r referrs to correlation not causation if there is a strong correlation r must be greater than 0.8 any thing less than 0.5 is weak the lower the weaker.It is quite possible to get a very small pvalue but a very weak correlation

They also can quote confidence intervals----this is actually difficult to describe think of it as a measure of how confident you are that the result is representative of a population and its relatively safe to generqalise from it.In science this normally means that the scatter of your data must be no more than 5% either side of your mean or average value

If you look at the data published by Heim et al claiming a six fold increase in cfs symptoms in those suffereing from self reported child abuse the r value was0.3

and the confidence intervals varied about 70% on each side of the mean that was somehow skewed If I continued to produce fairy stories I,d probably be sectioned----could I suggest the same treatment here!

Saying that cfs symptoms are 6times more likely to occur in patients with CFS than healthy controlls with such a small r value is a little like saying that the symptoms of depression are 6 times more likely than in people who dont have depression!

V99

I never knew there was so much to learn about fairies. Where is the fairy smilie when you need them.

Thank you for that explanation. I have heard about the, less than 0.5 is weak, but what is a p value?

G

Gerwyn

I never knew there was so much to learn about fairies. Where is the fairy smilie when you need them.

Thank you for that explanation. I have heard about the, less than 0.5 is weak, but what is a p value?

Hi v99 p is a measure of probability of the result being due to chance alone A p value has to be less than .05 to be significant this means that the probability of a result occuring purely by chance is less than 5 in a hundred