Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

More men 'have oral cancer virus'

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    "Oral human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is more common among men than women, leading to an increased risk for men of head and neck cancers, a US study suggests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16746619

(For people interested in reading about human viruses that cause disease and cancer.)

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting - thanks Bob. It does seem to me now with so many diseases found or thought to be of viral origin that the more the Virologists can pick up the pace in identifying and understanding the better.

3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, I agree Enid. Hopefully, with technology getting better and better, the pace will accelerate rapidly over the coming years.

4. Calathea

Calathea Senior Member

It would help if they weren't hampered by outright sexism. Refusing to vaccinate males against HPV as standard, reserving that for females alone, and calling the HPV vaccine the "cervical cancer vaccine" in order to make it sound more palatable, is no way to achieve herd immunity and generally a bloody stupid approach. There was no good reason for the decision at the time, and they've said they're not going to budge on it.

See more popular forum discussions.