1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

More info about bacteria and germs ...

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by xchocoholic, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. xchocoholic

    xchocoholic Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,650
    Likes:
    1,305
    Florida
    Hi ALL,

    I started looking at this cause I noticed that whenever I soaked seeds or nuts they tasted sour. A freind told me that hers never did ...

    ALSO, I'd noticed that if I used any container that I'd ever put my homemade Kombucha tea in for something else, I'd get a scoby (symbiotic culture of BACTERIA and YEAST) growing. I just got a scoby in tea made with cloves, pau d'arco and olive leaf. I didn't think anything could grow in that combo ... :eek:

    So I wanted to see what it takes to kill bacteria, mold etc ...

    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2947/do-microwave-ovens-kill-bacteria

    I don't want to spoil the ending so you'll have to go read it yourselves ... This guy cracks me up ...


    http://blog.healthychoicenaturals.com/the-top-spots-for-germs-and-bacteria-lurking-in-your-home/

    And then the article goes on to list these ...

    FWIW .. I bleached most of my dishes but not all just yet and the last time I soaked nuts and seeds they tasted normal ... :D .. I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner ...

    I'd been using my dishwasher and making sure my dishwater was hot (140 degrees) not realizing how hot it would have to be to kill most germs. According to the first article here, it's impossible to get tap water hot enough. I think he said that c diff would only die at 270 degrees ?

    oops ... here's what he said. I'd been googling how to kill bacteria so I'm not sure if I read this elsewhere or not ...


    .


    Wouldn't it be something if we're just re-infecting ourselves in our own homes ... I had 2 small indoor dogs and this didn't click with me either ... duh ...

    hth ... x
  2. madietodd

    madietodd Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,426
    Likes:
    1,606
    East Coast, USA
    xchoc - how much bleach to how much water? Do you let the dishes sit in the water, or dip and air dry?

    Do you know if it's true that microwaving kitchen sponges for 3 minutes on high really does disinfect them? I've also heard that you can disinfect your toothbrush by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide.

    Wonderful article! Thanks.
  3. xchocoholic

    xchocoholic Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,650
    Likes:
    1,305
    Florida
    Hi Madie,

    I thought Cecil was a riot ... : )

    This should answer your questions ... actually, I'm not sure if microwaving sponges is covered here but googling killing bacteria should get it ...

    http://www.familymanagement.com/childcare/practices/food.safety.practices.html

    "Fill the third compartment or dishpan with hot tap water and 1-1/2 tablespoons of liquid chlorine bleach for each gallon of water."

    btw. I tried using straight white vinegar and a straight generic bleach separately on some black mold that was growing on some patio stones once and found out that only Clorox bleach was strong enough to kill it ... The Clorox made it sizzle and vanish .. So I only buy Clorox now.

    tc ... x
  4. madietodd

    madietodd Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,426
    Likes:
    1,606
    East Coast, USA
    "....and leave in the clorox water for at least a minute."

    I can tolerate that amount of bleach without any trouble, so I'll give this a try. Interesting that the generic bleach wasn't as strong as Clorox; I thought the dilution was at some mandated strength.

    I went looking for toothbrush cleansing ideas - most said buy a new one! - but here's an interesting idea. This might disinfect the dishes, no?

    "Put it in the dishwasher and put 1/4 cup bleach in with the detergent. This works wonders......I haven't been sick with the flu in years!! have an 8yr old daughter and I do this to her tooth brush once a week.....for the past 2 years she has not missed a day of school from being sick!!
    Source(s):
    Doctor told me about this years ago"
  5. xchocoholic

    xchocoholic Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,650
    Likes:
    1,305
    Florida
    Hi madie.

    I see a couple of problems with adding bleach to a dishwasher.
    bleach may corrode the pipes, etc. and its not a good idea to mix
    Chemicals. Tc ..
    X
    Tooth brushes can be soaked in peroxide. Just rinse
    Thoroughly before using.
  6. madietodd

    madietodd Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,426
    Likes:
    1,606
    East Coast, USA
    Duh! [Slaps foread]
  7. xchocoholic

    xchocoholic Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,650
    Likes:
    1,305
    Florida
    LOL ... Boy can I relate ... tc ... x

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page