• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More info about bacteria and germs ...

xchocoholic

Hi ALL,

I started looking at this cause I noticed that whenever I soaked seeds or nuts they tasted sour. A freind told me that hers never did ...

ALSO, I'd noticed that if I used any container that I'd ever put my homemade Kombucha tea in for something else, I'd get a scoby (symbiotic culture of BACTERIA and YEAST) growing. I just got a scoby in tea made with cloves, pau d'arco and olive leaf. I didn't think anything could grow in that combo ... :eek:

So I wanted to see what it takes to kill bacteria, mold etc ...

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2947/do-microwave-ovens-kill-bacteria

Do microwave ovens kill bacteria?

July 16, 2010

Dear Cecil:

If I take a piece of pizza that's been sitting on the table awhile and microwave it for one minute, would that kill bacteria and decrease the chance of food poisoning, or am I just eating nice hot bacteria?

David Chattin-McNichols

Cecil replies:

Your query contained the elements of a rewarding investigation, David: microwaves, pizza, food poisoning and death, plus this was a deft touch the eating of sizzling bacteria. I sent word to the lab: break out the petri dishes.

Before we start, three critical questions: First, can bacteria really just land on your food while it's sitting on the table? Second, what's the best way to kill bacteria? Third, is a microwave a suitable tool for bactericide?

The first question is easy. Yes, bacteria not only are found on floors, tabletops, and other surfaces, they drift around in the air too. Scientists collecting air samples for 17 weeks in San Antonio and Austin, Texas, recently found 1,800 types of airborne bacteria. Among them were cousins of Francisella tularensis, sometimes mentioned as a potential bioterror weapon. OK, Texas is known for its abundant lower life forms; still, this is something to keep in mind if food-storage procedures at your house are lax.

Next question: killing bacteria. Alcohol will do the trick, which may lead pizza lovers to think: problem solved. Unfortunately, the alcohol concentration needed to kill bacteria will go a long way toward killing you. Sealing bacteria off from oxygen will suppress some, but anaerobic bacteria can do fine without.

The best method is heat. Milk, for example, is pasteurized by heating it to about 162 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds. But even that's not a sure thing some bacteria thrive at temperatures up to 167 degrees, and certain bacterial spores, such as Clostridium botulinum (responsible for the deadly botulism toxin), can survive for hours at 212 degrees.

Will a microwave kill microbes? Sure. Microwave ovens use electromagnetic radiation to heat water molecules in food. It's the heat, not the microwaves, that's lethal here; the hotter you make your food, the more likely you are to kill the bacteria in it. (Some contend microwave energy itself is fatal to bacteria, but that's unproven.) The key is making the food hot enough uniformly enough for long enough. If it heats unevenly, a common problem in microwaves, some bacteria may survive.

Time for the Straight Dope science staff to do its stuff. My assistants Fierra and Una sprang into action as follows:

1. They assembled 30 petri dishes containing agar gel (a bacteria nutrient), plus an impressive collection of graduated cylinders and other lab equipment.

2. One Pizza Hut Meat Lover's Pizza (Fierra's favorite) was ordered. Upon delivery three swabs were taken of the pizza and applied to three petri dishes. Additional samples of pizza were diluted with distilled water, in ratios of 1:10 and 1:100, and applied to two more pairs of dishes making seven dishes in all just in case the pure pizza swabs gave rise to such swarming masses of microbes that we couldn't count the colonies individually.

3. The pizza was allowed to sit in the open air for four hours. Then three more swabs of full-strength pizza were applied to petri dishes, as were two each of the 1:10 and 1:100 dilutions, for a total of seven more swabbed dishes.

4. The pizza was microwaved in a 1,000-watt oven for 30 seconds on the highest setting. Another seven dishes.

I don't want to spoil the ending so you'll have to go read it yourselves ... This guy cracks me up ...

http://blog.healthychoicenaturals.com/the-top-spots-for-germs-and-bacteria-lurking-in-your-home/

Top ten spots for household germs and bacteria ...

A lot of attention is given to germs and bacteria this time of year because people are concerned with avoiding germs during the cold and flu season. We all know to wash our hands frequently, especially in public places in order to avoid picking up germs that can cause us to get sick, but a shocking 65% of colds are actually contracted by household germs. And up to 80% of food born sicknesses are also caught in your home.

While infections can happen anywhere, here is a list of the most contaminated surfaces and objects in your home:

And then the article goes on to list these ...

FWIW .. I bleached most of my dishes but not all just yet and the last time I soaked nuts and seeds they tasted normal ... :D .. I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner ...

I'd been using my dishwasher and making sure my dishwater was hot (140 degrees) not realizing how hot it would have to be to kill most germs. According to the first article here, it's impossible to get tap water hot enough. I think he said that c diff would only die at 270 degrees ?

oops ... here's what he said. I'd been googling how to kill bacteria so I'm not sure if I read this elsewhere or not ...

The best method is heat. Milk, for example, is pasteurized by heating it to about 162 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds. But even that's not a sure thing some bacteria thrive at temperatures up to 167 degrees, and certain bacterial spores, such as Clostridium botulinum (responsible for the deadly botulism toxin), can survive for hours at 212 degrees

Wouldn't it be something if we're just re-infecting ourselves in our own homes ... I had 2 small indoor dogs and this didn't click with me either ... duh ...

hth ... x

maddietod

xchoc - how much bleach to how much water? Do you let the dishes sit in the water, or dip and air dry?

Do you know if it's true that microwaving kitchen sponges for 3 minutes on high really does disinfect them? I've also heard that you can disinfect your toothbrush by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide.

Wonderful article! Thanks.

xchocoholic

Hi Madie,

I thought Cecil was a riot ... : )

This should answer your questions ... actually, I'm not sure if microwaving sponges is covered here but googling killing bacteria should get it ...

http://www.familymanagement.com/childcare/practices/food.safety.practices.html

"Fill the third compartment or dishpan with hot tap water and 1-1/2 tablespoons of liquid chlorine bleach for each gallon of water."

btw. I tried using straight white vinegar and a straight generic bleach separately on some black mold that was growing on some patio stones once and found out that only Clorox bleach was strong enough to kill it ... The Clorox made it sizzle and vanish .. So I only buy Clorox now.

tc ... x

maddietod

"....and leave in the clorox water for at least a minute."

I can tolerate that amount of bleach without any trouble, so I'll give this a try. Interesting that the generic bleach wasn't as strong as Clorox; I thought the dilution was at some mandated strength.

I went looking for toothbrush cleansing ideas - most said buy a new one! - but here's an interesting idea. This might disinfect the dishes, no?

"Put it in the dishwasher and put 1/4 cup bleach in with the detergent. This works wonders......I haven't been sick with the flu in years!! have an 8yr old daughter and I do this to her tooth brush once a week.....for the past 2 years she has not missed a day of school from being sick!!
Source(s):
Doctor told me about this years ago"

xchocoholic

Hi madie.

I see a couple of problems with adding bleach to a dishwasher.
bleach may corrode the pipes, etc. and its not a good idea to mix
Chemicals. Tc ..
X
Tooth brushes can be soaked in peroxide. Just rinse
Thoroughly before using.