• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More Hillenbrand - NYT "Well" blog 2/4/2011

urbantravels

disjecta membra
No new info here that we haven't already seen in the other pieces that have profiled Laura Hillenbrand in recent months - but it's in the NYT and in the health blog, and specifically about her CFS. An encouraging trend in the NYT's coverage of CFS, which seems to be getting more positive. Good to comment and share to encourage this trend!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/an-author-escapes-from-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/?hp

Q. Why have you started talking about your illness?

A. I had never been public about my illness at all before Seabiscuit. I didnt want to talk about it very much because I had the experience of being dismissed and ridiculed. People dont understand this illness, and the name is so misleading. I realized I had this opportunity because I was going to be getting press attention for the book. Im going to talk about it because I can. Maybe that will save the next person from going through what I did.

JAH

I just ran across this as well, while checking out the times site. This is the best, most sympathetic portrayal of Hillenbrand and CFS since her New Yorker article. Read this one-- I'll be forwarding it to my friends and family. Great idea to leave a positive comment as well,

JAH

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I just ran across this as well, while checking out the times site. This is the best, most sympathetic portrayal of Hillenbrand and CFS since her New Yorker article. Read this one-- I'll be forwarding it to my friends and family. Great idea to leave a positive comment as well,

JAH

This was part of my comment - couldn't copy it all

What happens when a 25 billion dollar a year agency spends $4 million a year on CFS (and 24.99 billion dollars on the rest of the 210 conditions it also funds)? - you get people like Lauren Hillenbrand spending 25 years in bed...You get formerly productive people.....living their lives in isolation with no hope of treatment.

What is lost in this wonderful interview with Laurens is the fact her struggle never had to be.....and that a generation off young Lauren's are coming down with their never-ending flu's and the federal government isn't even lifting their little finger to try and stop it.