• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More disappointing Canadian news

Old Bones

Today, I received an email from Margaret Parlor, President, National ME/FM Action Network. It described the lack of government action taken to address the needs of the ME/FM community in Canada as communicated by Margaret during her meeting last year with Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities.

http://mefmaction.com/images/stories/News/MEFMDisabilityIssuesFollowup.pdf

Here's the text of Margaret's February 22, 2017 letter to Minister Qualtrough:

"RE: Follow-up from February 22, 2016 meeting

One year ago, we met to discuss disability issues facing Canadians with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Fibromyalgia (FM), or both. Statistics Canada's Canadian Community Health Survey 2014 found 800,000 Canadians with one or both diagnoses. The survey data showed that these Canadians had a high degree of disability, disadvantage, and unmet needs.

At that meeting, I identified five federal programs where people with ME/CFS and FM did not have full and fair access: CPP-Disability, the Disability Tax Credit, home care, workplace accommodations and voting in elections. We also talked generally about improving relationships between government and the ME/FM community.

In a follow-up letter to that meeting, I indicated that our organization would update you on progress every few months. I have postponed these updates until now, hoping for something positive to report. With the passage of a year, I have completed the update, inserting comments into the description and status report which was attached to that letter. There have been a few glimmers of hope, but there have been no tangible changes in the past year that address the accessibility issues experienced by the ME/FM community."

Here's a table from the above link:

ME.JPG