• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mood swings

boo85

Are mood swings usual on supplementation therapy?

I'm supplementing with little amounts of B12 and MF (125mcg and 50mcg per day respectively.)

It's really strange because one minute I will feel so sad or anxious then the next minute feel fine, happy even.

Is this a normal part of healing? Why does it happen?

taniaaust1

Maybe your body is having an issue with the form of B12 you are taking? Some mutations dont do well with methyl B12 if you are taking that (I cant think now which common one).

Hip

It's really strange because one minute I will feel so sad or anxious then the next minute feel fine, happy even.

What you are describing is actually a known symptom of ME/CFS, called emotional lability.

To have labile emotions means that the emotion you are experiencing can change spontaneously from one minute to the next, without any real cause. Emotional lability may also involve emotions that are strongly exaggerated for no reason, like for example suddenly feeling very incredibly tearful with no apparent cause.

I am not sure why vitamin B12 and methylfolate should bring this on though.

TCA antidepressants have some efficacy in treating emotional lability, if you feel that it needs treating.

PeterPositive

Personally I've found Adeno-B12 a mood "stabilizer", probably it's an indirect effect. It helps with energy production and when our batteries are better charged the nervous system is probably less prone to highs and lows... at least, it's my (unscientific) speculation :)

Methyl-B12 is active in the brain and it can work as a stimulant, so it's more of a difficult beast. I have the MTHR double mutation (see signature) but only one COMT snp and have found difficult to integrate it, but in the long run it has helped and now it works well for me. It just took me a heck of a lot of time to adjust to it and increase the dosage.

Similarly methyl-folate which can trigger anxiety even more easily than Methyl-B12, at least for me.