• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Modifying disability in progressive multiple sclerosis

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)62641-0/fulltext

This is suggestive of possible positive impact of statins on reding the rate of 'brain shrinkage' in MS. If shown to be sigificant in further studies, this may offer hope for establishing processes of repair in illnesses where the brain undergoes degradation. Whether or not that would turn out to be relevant to ME/CFS is of course a whole futher are of speculation.

Valentijn

@N.A.Wright
the only 4 people I know that have taken statins have long term muscle damage. Personally I wouldn't touch them.
Yeah, taking something which causes mitochondrial damage seems like a really stupid thing to do when the mitochondria are already having some serious problems. A nurse tried to prescribe them for me (in the process of getting my OI symptoms investigated), when my cholesterol was marginally above normal, and had already decreased on its own. We tried calling her to tell her where to shove it, but it was no longer possible to contact her there - hopefully she'd already gotten fired for trying to shove nasty drugs down everyone's throat :p