• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Model of how a Virus Works

G

greybeh

Of course, this is talking about an airborne virus, not something like XMRV (which the Whittemore Peterson Institute has clearly stated is NOT airborne).

I would think the cell processes would work similarly, but the method of entrance would just be different.

Here's a video animation with narration of how someone can become infected with a virus (in this case, again, an AIRBORNE virus):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114075029

OKAY, so can anyone tell me if the "big pink thing" is reverse transcriptase? I know nothing about viruses, but found this link fascinating and thought it might help spark discussion. Thanks, folks.

Kati

Patient in training
OKAY, so can anyone tell me if the "big pink thing" is reverse transcriptase? I know nothing about viruses, but found this link fascinating and thought it might help spark discussion. Thanks, folks.

Reverse transcriptase is different since we'd be talking about a retrovirus in the case of XMRV.
The guy just explained the mechanism of viruses. I would suspect the big pink thing is transcriptase.

Kati