• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mobility Scooter!

Artstu

Yeah thats what i'm talking about (the one in the pic is no longer available or road legal) but the 500w smaller size is at the mo

Ah right, well in that case you couldn't register it as road legal. But like you say just ride it and don't do anything silly and you'll probably get away with it.

I want the Toyota one, but bet it'll be £10,000 if it ever gets into production.
Toyota-iRoad.jpg

Lol. So is it a case of not registering it 'because' i'm not doing the CBT and sneaking about in parks? As the website says it has to be registered.

Artstu

Lol. So is it a case of not registering it 'because' i'm not doing the CBT and sneaking about in parks? As the website says it has to be registered.

I've not seen the website that sells them. I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to register it for the road. and to be a legal pavement and road mobility scooter it would need to be limited to 8 mph, and have a switchable 4 mph limit for the pavement.

The website is Urban Sports Junkie. Its got me confused about what to do now as i thought they knew what they were talking about.
I would have registered it even for park use as it said it was illegal not to.
I think the rules were: aged over 16, provisional moped license, CBT, registered using the certificate provided and insured.
I'd rather skip all of the above for park use if possible though.

My street is joined onto a 2 mile park, at the end of the park is a village with a pub and a corner shop before even a road is seen :)

The smaller one which is apparently legal had a max speed of 15mph which is the same for electric bicylces but different rules for each thing i think.

Artstu

The smaller one which is apparently legal had a max speed of 15mph which is the same for electric bicylces but different rules for each thing i think.

There is a class of vehicle like that now you mention it, I'll see if I can remember where there is some good information about them.

Thats really kind of you, i contacted the DVLA direct last year about it and even they couldnt give me concrete advice as they weren't sure lol.

I then thought of taking a pic of it with specs to the local police to see if it would be confiscated if they saw me on it, but then i didnt want to draw attention to myself incase sneaking about off road was an option :)

If they did take it off me they'd have to give me a lift home as i wouldn't be able to walk lol

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
You wouldn't actually be able to register a 2-wheel scooter, unless of course it was the big normal electric scooter type.

I have two small motorcycles I no longer ride. Believe it or not I actually find riding a motorcycle or driving a car more tiring than riding the e-bike. The key is the effort required on the bicycle which switches on a process in your body that allows you to produce energy for the duration of the ride. The intensity has to be high for you to tap into it, it's something walking doesn't trigger for me.

Do you mean that intense effort riding a bike can stop people with ME switching to anaerobic energy production, producing excessive quantities of lactic acid and ending up with PEM? That would be something of a Holy Grail!

Artstu

Do you mean that intense effort riding a bike can stop people with ME switching to anaerobic energy production, producing excessive quantities of lactic acid and ending up with PEM? That would be something of a Holy Grail!

Not exactly. For me intense exercise helps me perform to a high level for periods up to about two hours, I have varying degrees of after exercise tiredness with no rhyme or reason to just how tired, stiff or weary I feel.

It would need working pedals to escape the requirement to register it for the road. You would be much better buying an e-bike, that'll do it all with no legality issues.

A good place to start would be here, they have a forum too http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/

No thats no use for me as there's nowhere to keep it, so i would be registering the scooter afterall? Wonder if i'd be allowed to take my CBT on it lol

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Is there an electric bike with a big seat like a mobility scooter? My back is really bad and I couldn't sit on one of those bike seats but maybe..maybe ..I could manage and electric bike with a large seat.

MeSci

Not exactly. For me intense exercise helps me perform to a high level for periods up to about two hours, I have varying degrees of after exercise tiredness with no rhyme or reason to just how tired, stiff or weary I feel.

Just tiredness? Immediately afterwards? No exacerbation of ME symptoms 1-3 days later, e.g. nausea, headache, swollen lymph nodes, sinus congestion, generalised pain, digestive problems, insomnia, brain fog, etc.?

Artstu

Just tiredness? Immediately afterwards? No exacerbation of ME symptoms 1-3 days later, e.g. nausea, headache, swollen lymph nodes, sinus congestion, generalised pain, digestive problems, insomnia, brain fog, etc.?

Not tiredness, not usually immediately afterwards. I don't get all those symptoms, but it can exacerbate my normal symptoms which are best described as extreme physical and mental exhaustion, but not always.

MeSci

Not tiredness, not usually immediately afterwards. I don't get all those symptoms, but it can exacerbate my normal symptoms which are best described as extreme physical and mental exhaustion, but not always.

Have you been diagnosed with ME/CFS?

The diagnostic criteria most favoured by patients are listed here.

As you can see, the illness is about much more than tiredness or even exhaustion.