• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mobility Scooter!

PNR2008

I am bedbound about 80% of the time but when I can I take short rides with Gabrielle, my dog. Because of our bad winter both of us needed to build up since nobody believes this but she pulls me most of the time and it never looks that way.

My feet hardly move. She was so energetic as a puppy and pulled so much that I trained her from 6 months old to pull on the bike by the time she was grown, she took off like a bat out of hell and I just sat, steered and laughed by butt off. She has been making me laugh ever since.

If I stop and stand by my bike, the POTS can make me end up on the ground but sitting is fine. I have to be careful not to pump much while riding because I will get PEM. If the ride is longer we make plenty of stops and drink water. I always wondered why I could ride a bike easier than walking my dog, also I have a head tremor and I feel better after bicycling, then I read this.

Artstu

I had a deprived childhood. I can't ride a bike.
Learning to, was on my bucket list.
When M's not clambering up vertical rock faces or trampling over the hills, he's cycling around the countryside.

It was just another something we had planned on doing together in our later years.:(

Scooting with the pedals removed is the way to gain balance on a bike, sorry if I'm telling you something you knew already.

Electric bikes are fantastic for helping the less fit and able keep up with their partners.

I have replaced my e-bike for a much better one now. In the space of a few years I've seen a 100 fold increase in how far I can ride! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to be able to do what I currently do. Without the electric bike I'd have never made such progress, IMO they are the best invention ever.

PNR2008

@Artstu, I am glad you wrote. Other than cycling as a young person I haven't started biking until 5 years ago when I moved to this community that has roads that aren't busy and the property has protected wetlands with great trails I wanted to try biking. So I borrowed my sister's bike which she never used and subsequiently never got back and I was amazed at my joy at flying with my beloved dog with beautiful flora and fauna passing by.

I was just as surprised as anyone but I love nature and critters. The apparatus that is on the back axle is made for the doggie purpose so she will never get closer to the front of the bike and is safe.

As I said before PEM is our enemy so starting slow and walking along the bike with dog walking too prepared us both. I had a therapy dog before this one which was amazing but Gabrielle would be the motor to get me to safety if zombies were after us. By the way I'm turning 65 next month.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I am bedbound about 80% of the time but when I can I take short rides with Gabrielle, my dog. Because of our bad winter both of us needed to build up since nobody believes this but she pulls me most of the time and it never looks that way.

My feet hardly move. She was so energetic as a puppy and pulled so much that I trained her from 6 months old to pull on the bike by the time she was grown, she took off like a bat out of hell and I just sat, steered and laughed by butt off. She has been making me laugh ever since.

If I stop and stand by my bike, the POTS can make me end up on the ground but sitting is fine. I have to be careful not to pump much while riding because I will get PEM. If the ride is longer we make plenty of stops and drink water. I always wondered why I could ride a bike easier than walking my dog, also I have a head tremor and I feel better after bicycling, then I read this.

It sounds wonderful! If Gabrielle could pull a tricycle you could rest sitting on it when necessary.

PNR2008

No @MeSci, thank God I don't but I have a movement disorder, essential tremor and have a lot of nuerological symptoms spinal injury, migraines, RLS, periphial neuropathy and it does help. Maybe the improvement is just my happiness. Although I do feel relief.

The Parkinson study pushes the patients that could never be with us but cycling seems to have a nuero-protective result with them, maybe a little with us?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@PNR2008

quote" The apparatus that is on the back axle is made for the doggie purpose so she will never get closer to the front of the bike and is safe"

I don't understand what the apparatus is?

PNR2008

Look at the picture of Gabrielle

@maryb, look at the photo of Gabrielle, she is attached to the back axle by a short leash and there is a bar also. They make better ones now with strong springs but I started her off young so she doesn't pull sideways when we come up on wild turkeys or 3 or 4 deer. It's the bunnies that get me....darting in front of us as my dog is running. I know I'm wild to the bone.

peggy-sue

@Artstsu It's a trike I want - one with a low centre of gravity and all the extra training wheels that can be accommodated - and then some more, just to be sure!

Me - balance? :p:p:p

peggy-sue

:) I know - I have considered them and considered them.
The big problem is I live in a city on hills. Loads and loads of big hills. I really don't think a motorised bike would be worth the expense, given it would struggle with all the hills.
I can walk for a fair distance on the flat. I don't need one for just getting out at all.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
:) I know - I have considered them and considered them.
The big problem is I live in a city on hills. Loads and loads of big hills. I really don't think a motorised bike would be worth the expense, given it would struggle with all the hills.
I can walk for a fair distance on the flat. I don't need one for just getting out at all.

Horse and cart? :D

@Valentijn You sound so happy with your scooter!! It sounds great :) They can make such a huge difference. Mine is tiny and folds up but it still weighs 22kg so i can only use it supervised with help.

Mine only goes a maximum of 6kph though (3 mph at best) and i used to walk at 4 miles per hour so the speed isn't the best for me.

I'm considering a 2 wheel electric scooter with seat post as the one i have my eye on can go up to 20mph! I cant go out on my scooter alone as i don't feel safe going so slowly if anyone decided to attack me but with the 2 wheel scooter i have in mind we currently need a motorbike CBT to ride it because of its speed. If i could do a CBT i'd have a motorbike!!

I'm seriously considering getting it anyway and just sticking to my local park to 'play' and hiding from roads and police ;)

Below is my mobility scoot...

image.jpg

Artstu

I'm considering a 2 wheel electric scooter with seat post as the one i have my eye on can go up to 20mph! I cant go out on my scooter alone as i don't feel safe going so slowly if anyone decided to attack me but with the 2 wheel scooter i have in mind we currently need a motorbike CBT to ride it because of its speed. If i could do a CBT i'd have a motorbike!!

You wouldn't actually be able to register a 2-wheel scooter, unless of course it was the big normal electric scooter type.

I have two small motorcycles I no longer ride. Believe it or not I actually find riding a motorcycle or driving a car more tiring than riding the e-bike. The key is the effort required on the bicycle which switches on a process in your body that allows you to produce energy for the duration of the ride. The intensity has to be high for you to tap into it, it's something walking doesn't trigger for me.