The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MMR doctor wins High Court appeal - GMC's massive abuse of process

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Mar 7, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

MMR doctor wins High Court appeal

An eminent doctor has won his High Court battle against being struck off over the MMR jab controversy.

Professor John Walker-Smith appealed against the General Medical Council's (GMC) determination that he was guilty of serious professional misconduct.

His fight for his reputation was supported by the parents of many children with autism and bowel disease seen by him at the Royal Free Hospital, north London, up to his retirement in 2001.

Mr Justice Mitting, sitting at London's High Court, ruled the GMC decision "cannot stand".

He quashed the finding of professional misconduct and the striking-off.

Calling for changes in the way GMC fitness to practise panel hearings are conducted in the future, the judge said of the flawed handling of Prof Walker-Smith's case: "It would be a misfortune if this were to happen again."

Prof Walker-Smith left court with members of his family, saying: "I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my appeal.

"There has been a great burden on me and my family since the allegations were first made in 2004 and throughout the hearing that ran from 2007 to 2010. I am relieved that this matter is now over."

Thanking his friends and supporters, including his own family and many parents and former patients, he added: "I will never forget all the support I have received and I am truly grateful for it. I hope now to enjoy my retirement with my family."

In a written ruling, the judge made it clear the judgment was the end of the case, and the GMC did not intend to appeal.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...bYQjS17G-bCGFZ9WQ?docId=N0955371331115415403A

2. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    MMR Autism GI wins appeal

A doctor found guilty of serious professional misconduct over the MMR controversy has won a High Court appeal against being struck off.

Prof John Walker-Smith carried out research with Dr Andrew Wakefield claiming there was a link between autism and the combined jab for measles, mumps and rubella.

The study caused a fall in vaccination rates but was later discredited.

The judge quashed a GMC finding of professional misconduct.

Mr Justice Mitting called for changes in the way General Medical Council fitness to practise panel hearings are conducted in the future saying: "It would be a misfortune if this were to happen again."

Prof Walker-Smith, who is now retired, said: "I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my appeal. There has been a great burden on me and my family since the allegations were first made in 2004 and throughout the hearing that ran from 2007 to 2010. I am relieved that this matter is now over."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17283751

3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

More details inTelegraph article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/c...tor-wins-battle-against-being-struck-off.html

4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

5. Calathea

Calathea Senior Member

So what they're saying is that his research was still poorly conducted, but that crap research isn't a good enough reason for striking a doctor off? Makes sense to me. They're not the same job, after all. Being bad at research should affect your job prospects as a researcher; being bad as a doctor is what should get you struck off.

6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

That research was a very good - perfect small case study. Nothing wrong with it.

(and it didn't even conclude that MMR was triggering autism ;-) nothing of the kind... )

7. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Glynis - that is good to see. Seems GMC need to take a good/fresh look at their "procedures".

8. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.