Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

I have had MMA and B12 checked a few times. I have been getting B12 shots and then after a time they check after I had a low B12 shots were started. I am confused as to the correlation of MMA to B12. Both the MMA and B12 are low and doing the shots are making both go up but really slowly. I do have neurological symptoms so I do suspect a b12 deficiency is real but don't understand the low MMA then. Especially as when B12 goes up MMA goes up too.

2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    MMA goes down as adeno B12 goes up--that is how I understand it anyway.

3. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

My MMA went up when my b12 went up. I was getting weekly shots for a month and it barely went up too. Less than a 100. I switched to monthy shots at B12 went down. Dr has not gotten back to me about it but I suspect. I will have to next time try biweekly shots or they will want me to go back to weekly. Not looking forward to it as I have to go in clinic a 45 min drive and I can't drive so I need to find rides.

4. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    What kind of B12 are you getting in the shots?

MMA shows your status of adenosylB12, so if you're getting shots of methylB12, it won't improve (decrease) your MMA levels.

I'm wondering if taking methylB12 (assuming that's what you're getting) which increases your cellular processes could decrease your adenosylB12 by doing so.

If you're getting cyanoB12, that can block methylB12 and adenosylB12 from getting into cells, so your MMA would get worse i.e. increase.

5. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

I am getting the cyno b12 shots. My b12 is going up but so is the MMA level. My MMA levels are out of range low. I am confused how I would have so many symptoms of b12 deficiency if MMA is low and that means no issue with b12 even if levels are low. It makes no sense to me.

6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    The problem may be that you are taking cyano. You may not be able to convert it to active forms (it needs something like 15 steps), but it could raise the "normal" B12 test levels as they measure total B12--even the forms that you cannot use.
    Rich Van K used to say that ideally MMA should be zero.

7. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

Why would MMA be zero ideally?

8. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Hi @Mandabear05,
    If you use tagging (I tagged you above) or quoting, the people you are answering will get a message. This works well.

This is what Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg said. I don't have the references handy. It would basically indicate that you have good levels of adeno B12 which would probably indicate that you also had good levels of methyl B12.

I've inserted a bit that he wrote about measuring B12. It is interesting. I'm sorry, I don't have a link for it as I saved his posts from many different forums.

9. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

I am just confused because then low mma would mean my b12 low doesn't mean I have a deficiency but I have a deficiency because I have symptoms.

10. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Mandabear05
    There are 4 types of cobalamins or B12s. You are taking the least helpful one, because as Sushi said, it requires several steps before it's absorbable into cells. The problem is that many people don't have the required enzymes to make those conversions happen. Your cyanoB12 is then worse than useless.

Worse because it can block the active forms of B12's access to receptors. So whatever B12 you get from food sources can't get into your cells where you need them. You then end up with a B12 deficiency caused by the cyano form of B12 and your body's lack of specific enzymes.

MMA tells you your level of adenosylB12 only, the form of B12 that's used in the krebs cycle to generate ATP (energy). MMA tells you nothing about your cyano, hydroxy or methyl B12 levels.

Also, MMA levels are known to be quite variable and unstable so the changes may not mean much. Were the changes in your MMA moderate or huge?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    MikeV and Sushi like this.
  11. Mandabear05

Mandabear05

They were very small changes in the MMA. This whole b12 thing is so confusing. I don't think I can absorb b12 from food from my understanding. I don't know if it is true or not but I have an illeostomy. I was told with that you can't absorb the b12 properly from food or other sources properly so I have not taken any from other sources either.

12. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I dont think you should be concerned at all about your MMA since they were small changes. And definitely switch your B12 shots to methylB12.
    Let us know how it goes.
    @Mandabear05

See more popular forum discussions.