The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitoprotective Dietary Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Full title:
    Mitoprotective Dietary Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Caloric Restriction, Fasting, and Ketogenic Diets

VERY interesting one, guys. Just a single-author hypothesis, but still!

From: http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(15)00318-7/abstract

Abstract
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an idiopathic illness characterized by debilitating fatigue and neuro-immune abnormalities. A growing body of evidence proposes mitochondrial dysfunction as a central perpetrator of the illness due to activation of immune-inflammatory pathways that burden the mitochondria. Under a model of mitochondrial dysfunction, this paper explores dietary strategies that are mitoprotective. Studied for decades, the cellular mechanisms of ketogenic diets, fasting, and caloric restriction now reveal mitochondria-specific mechanisms which could play a role in symptom reduction in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Future research should examine the physiological effects of these dietary strategies in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

-J

garcia, helen1, mariovitali and 4 others like this.
  2. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Diet seems to be one of the frontiers we have to cross because, let's face it, we often do feel better or worse depending on what we eat.

I would have read the piece, but decided against spending the $31 to have access. Better spent on more supps just now!

Though I will say, I'm curious. So if anyone else goes for it, let us know...:p

Little Bluestem and JaimeS like this.

See more popular forum discussions.