• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitoprotective Dietary Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

JaimeS

Full title:
Mitoprotective Dietary Approaches for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Caloric Restriction, Fasting, and Ketogenic Diets

VERY interesting one, guys. Just a single-author hypothesis, but still!

From: http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(15)00318-7/abstract

Abstract
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an idiopathic illness characterized by debilitating fatigue and neuro-immune abnormalities. A growing body of evidence proposes mitochondrial dysfunction as a central perpetrator of the illness due to activation of immune-inflammatory pathways that burden the mitochondria. Under a model of mitochondrial dysfunction, this paper explores dietary strategies that are mitoprotective. Studied for decades, the cellular mechanisms of ketogenic diets, fasting, and caloric restriction now reveal mitochondria-specific mechanisms which could play a role in symptom reduction in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Future research should examine the physiological effects of these dietary strategies in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

-J

Kathevans

Diet seems to be one of the frontiers we have to cross because, let's face it, we often do feel better or worse depending on what we eat.

I would have read the piece, but decided against spending the $31 to have access. Better spent on more supps just now!

Though I will say, I'm curious. So if anyone else goes for it, let us know...:p