• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial nutrients stimulate performance and mitochondrial biogenesis in [rats]

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Coming at the theory of efficient mitochondria from a different [sports] direction, and also giving at least a list of what substances are being investigated these days. (It caught my personal interest because of the effect on malondialdehyde, which to me seems possibly related to CFS' aerobic exercise intolerance - and also to acetaldehyde and alcohol intolerance.)

Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports

Mitochondrial nutrients stimulate performance and mitochondrial biogenesis in exhaustively exercised rats

Article first published online: 21 APR 2011

The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of a combination of nutrients on physical performance, oxidative stress and mitochondrial biogenesis in rats subjected to exhaustive exercise. Rats were divided into sedentary control (SC), exhaustive exercise (EC) and exhaustive exercise with nutrient supplementation (EN). The nutrients include (mg/kg/day): R-?-lipoic acid 50, acetyl-l-carnitine 100, biotin 0.1, nicotinamide 15, riboflavin 6, pyridoxine 6, creatine 50, CoQ10 5, resveratrol 5 and taurine 100. Examination of running distances over the 4-week period revealed that EN rats ran significantly longer throughout the entire duration of the exhaustive exercise period compared with the EC rats. Nutrient supplementation significantly inhibited the increase in activities of alanine transaminase, lactate dehydrogenase and creatine kinase, reversed increases in malondialdehyde, inhibited decreases in glutathione S-transferase and total antioxidant capacity in plasma, and suppressed the elevation of reactive oxygen species and apoptosis in splenic lymphocytes. Nutrient supplementation increased the protein expression of mitochondrial complexes I, II and III, mtDNA number and transcription factors involved in mitochondrial biogenesis and fusion in skeletal muscle. These findings suggest that mitochondrial nutrient supplementation can reduce exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative damage and mitochondrial dysfunction, thus leading to enhancement of physical performance and of fatigue recovery.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01314.x/abstract