• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes (MELAS)

Valentijn

One big difference between an ME crash and lactic acidosis: my brain feels somewhat fried this morning. But otherwise, definitely feeling better. Slept 11 hours.

It's also nice to have my stomach feel relatively normal for a change, after stopping the metformin.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
sorry to hear you are going through this Val. Are you saying you think you don't have type 2, but type 1 or some other variant? I cant fully follow the technical aspects of the discussion.

If type 2, then I can highly recommend the book by Dr Mosely, who, with a researcher, has found a way to reverse type 2 diabetes with diet and weight loss. The book is called the eight week blood sugar diet - doesn't sound bvery sicenific, but I think its to appeal to a mass market, but the thinking behind it seems sound. Dr Mosely reversed his own type 2 diabetes with the diet changes he made.

Valentijn

sorry to hear you are going through this Val. Are you saying you think you don't have type 2, but type 1 or some other variant? I cant fully follow the technical aspects of the discussion.
It's unlikely that I have typical Type 2. I probably wouldn't have had large amounts of ketones in my urine with that, while also hyperglycemic. Basically Type 2 diabetics should be able to produce enough insulin to avoid going into hyperglycemic ketosis (versus carb-restricted dietary ketosis).

One possibility is that I have Type 1. But that's also a bit unlikely, since a 30mg dose of Gliclazide in the morning seems to helping during the day, until it wears off at night. Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, which wouldn't be possible if I had Type 1 and beta cells were completely fried. I don't know if it would be possible during the post-diagnosis "honeymoon period" when there is still some insulin production, but it seems unlikely.

But 1 and 2 aren't the only options. There's also Ketosis-Prone Type 2 Diabetes (KPD). That usually presents with ketoacidosis at onset, occurs in older and overweight people, and has a sudden onset. But in research in the US it was primarily (though not exclusively) occurring in ethnic minorities. Gliclazide is the common treatment for that, after treating the initial episode with insulin. And they remain at risk of DKA, but usually just if getting an infection or discontinuing medication.

There's also Idiopathic Type 1 Diabetes. There's no significant insulin production, but the cause isn't due to the usual auto-antibodies or other known triggers. They're insulin dependent, but tend to fluctuate more, which is probably a real pain in the butt when it comes to dosing the insulin.

And there's Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. That's referring largely to the diagnostic phase of future Type 1 diabetics, when they have auto-antibodies that cause diabetes, and present with hyperglycemia, yet still have substantial insulin production for at least 6 months. Basically a slow onset resulting from a slower destruction of insulin-producing cells.

And then there several types of genetic diabetes, called Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY) which are neither Type 1 or Type 2. There's about a dozen genes which can cause this in various ways. Treatment depends largely on the specific gene involved. The most common is MODY 3, which is almost always managed with Gliclazide. There's also been published case reports of ketoacidosis in MODY 3 patients.

And finally, there are other diseases which cause diabetes. MELAS is one of them. There's not a lot of research into MELAS, and by the time I was looking into it my brain was having a lot of trouble functioning :p So I'm not sure what the classification or treatment is.

erin

Terrible that you don't really get a proper investigation by your (suppose to be) health provider.

Are you not getting a treatment since you don't take the Metformin? Gliclazide is the only medicine you take at the moment for diabetes?

I hope you get around this problem somehow. Sorry that you have to deal with ignorance while you are not well.

Wishing you speedy recoveries...

Sidereal

If it is type 2, this study from Newcastle U made quite a splash a few years ago. It involves a pretty hardcore very low calorie regimen but what's astonishing is that some of these folks were cured of diabetes after doing this for a few weeks.

Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol

This study demonstrates that the twin defects of beta cell failure and insulin resistance that underlie type 2 diabetes can be reversed by acute negative energy balance alone. A hierarchy of response was observed, with a very early change in hepatic insulin sensitivity and a slower change in beta cell function. In the first 7 days of the reduced energy intake, fasting blood glucose and hepatic insulin sensitivity fell to normal, and intrahepatic lipid decreased by 30%. Over the 8 weeks of dietary energy restriction, beta cell function increased towards normal and pancreatic fat decreased. Following the intervention, participants gained 3.1 ± 1.0 kg body weight over 12 weeks, but their HbA1c remained steady while the fat content of both pancreas and liver did not increase. The data are consistent with the hypothesis that the abnormalities of insulin secretion and insulin resistance that underlie type 2 diabetes have a single, common aetiology, i.e. excess lipid accumulation in the liver and pancreas [11]. This provides a unified hypothesis to explain a common disease that previously appeared to require separate disease processes affecting the pancreas and insulin-sensitive tissues.

Valentijn

Are you not getting a treatment since you don't take the Metformin?
I can still take the Gliclazide, though might need a 2nd dose in the evening. Or maybe I can take another drug similar to metformin, but without screwing around with my lactic acid production. The fiance called my doctor this morning to report my symptoms from the drug and that I stopped taking it, but we haven't heard back.

The metformin probably wasn't having an effect yet. Everything I've heard from other diabetes patients says that it takes 3-4 weeks to start having an impact. Which does make it extra horrible that GPs are sending chronically hyperglycemic newly diagnosed patients home with only metformin.

Valentijn

If it is type 2, this study from Newcastle U made quite a splash a few years ago. It involves a pretty hardcore very low calorie regimen but what's astonishing is that some of these folks were cured of diabetes after doing this for a few weeks.
A very small study - 11 patients, after 4 left the trial and weren't included in the calculations. Three of them were due to the researchers assuming those participants weren't complying with the diet, based on their blood ketone levels.

Also no apparent correction for making multiple comparisons, which include numerous outcome measurements at numerous time points, as well as comparisons with some healthy controls.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate

Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol
That's the one I was talking about - this guy has worked with Dr Mosely to produce an easy to do diet book.

Valentijn

Well, I looked into MELAS + Diabetes a bit. I keep trying to convince myself that I probably don't have MELAS, but this medscape article is making it very difficult:

Onset of the disorder may be myopathic with weakness, easy fatigability, and exercise intolerance.
Sound familiar, anyone? :D

Strokelike episodes are the hallmark feature of this disorder. Initially, episodes may manifest with vomiting and headache that may last several days. These patients may also experience episodes of seizures and visual abnormalities followed by hemiplegia. Seizure types may be tonic-clonic or myoclonic.
I had my first "migraine" at age 11. If I recall correctly, I vomited 6 times that day. I needed eyeglasses for the first time shortly after. I woke up in the middle of the night with numb/pins-and-needles legs at age 27, and hemiplegia which lasted for 3 weeks. MRI and a ton of other tests were clear, aside from elevated homocysteine. Hemiplegia resolved shortly after a normal dose of folic acid, prescribed by the neurologist.

Polydipsia and polyuria may be the presenting signs of diabetes; diabetes appears to be the most common manifestation of MELAS syndrome. Usually, type 2 diabetes is described in individuals with MELAS syndrome, although type 1 (formerly termed insulin-dependent diabetes) may also be observed.
Got that too now.

Numbness, tingling sensation, and pain in the extremities can be manifestations of peripheral neuropathy.
This also started a bit in my feet at age 27, several months before the hemiplegic migraine. I pretty abruptly stopped being ticklish everywhere as well.

Some patients may develop apnea and an ataxic gait in association with neuroradiologic features of MELAS syndrome.
I've had ataxia since ME symptom onset at age 32. It's been worse in the past few days, along with the lactic acidosis symptoms.

Patients with MELAS syndrome may exhibit hypertension.
This was happening in the week prior to my diagnosis, and a bit after as well. Approximately 150/100.

Myopathy presents with hypotonia and weakness. Proximal muscles tend to be more involved than distal muscles.
Yes, and getting worse with the symptoms of lactic acidosis. Weakness was most notable in my shoulders. I've never really thought about my muscle weakness in terms of proximal versus distal, but it's typically been my thighs which have the most problems, while my fingers are pretty good even if typing all day.

Strokelike episodes may present with convulsions, visual abnormalities, numbness, hemiplegia, and aphasia. [11] Episodes may be followed by transient hemiplegia or hemianopia, which lasts a few hours to several weeks. Additional features on neurologic examination may include ataxia, tremor, myoclonus, dystonia, visual disturbances, and cortical blindness.
No convulsions (I think), but I usually get an aura with migraines, including the temporary loss of most vision. And had the hemiplegia for several weeks. Also the ataxia, tremor, and myoclonus.

Skin manifestations of cutaneous purpura, hirsutism, and a scaly, pruritic, diffuse erythema with reticular pigmentation may be observed in patients with MELAS syndrome.
First noticed purpura at age 15, and hirsutism at around 21. Also scaly reddish skin on my face, but I think that started after onset of ME symptoms, at age 32.

There's some symptoms I don't have as well, but that's to be expected.

Valentijn

Another interesting source linked from the NIH site on MELAS: http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/mitosyn.html#melas

Clinical heterogeneity
  • Rare to find more than 1 fully expressed MELAS in same family
  • Maternal relatives often oligo- or asymptomatic
So it would be pretty normal that I don't have family members with it. Though aunts and uncles might have few or mild symptoms. They definitely do have some various things going on ... but nothing major. One very young cousin has an eye problem which seems to also be present in MELAS.

Genetics: mtDNA point mutations are common causes
  • Heteroplasmic: Mutant mtDNA proportion ~ 56% to 95%
Heteroplasmy is the degree of distribution of the mutation in tissues. This can increase over time, until there's enough of the mutant mitochondria present to cause a lot of problems.

NADH-Dehydrogenase Subunit 1 (MTND1) : MELAS, LHON or overlap phenotype
My mutation is on MT-ND1. It's also associated with adult-onset dystonia. Mutations on this gene seem to be a rarer cause of MELAS, with about 80% of cases coming from a single mutation on a different mitochondrial gene.

Onset
  • Mean = 10 years; Range = 2 to 40
  • Migraine-like attacks: Headache & Vomiting
  • Hearing loss
  • Occasional seizures
My first episode of headache and vomiting was at age 11. Though progression seems to have been very slow, up until onset of chronic ME symptoms at age 32.

Focal events ("Strokes")
  • Onset
    • Typical: < 15 years
    • Usual: < 40 years
    • Range: Infancy to Late adulthood
  • Distribution in brain: Do not conform to single vascular territories
  • Cortical visual defect
    • Often 1st focal manifestation
    • Distribution: Occipital blindness or Hemianopia
  • Hemiplegia
  • Associated with
    • Neuronal hyperexcitability: Focal epileptiform discharges in acute period
    • Basal ganglia calcifications
  • MRI
    • T1-weighted hyperintense cortical signal
    • Compatible with cortical laminar necrosis & cytotoxic edema
    • Distribution: Do not conform to single vascular territories
    • Reduced diffusion
These would be stroke-like episodes, possibly presenting like migraines, not proper strokes. I had the hemiplegia, as mentioned in a previous post. Also my trigger for migraines was MSG/E621, which is an excitatory neurotransmitter. First episode at 11 happened after I started eating ramen noodle packets with a lot of MSG. Episode with hemiplegia happened when avoiding MSG but not realizing it was in the foods I was eating under a different label.

The basal ganglia thing is also interesting - hasn't that been found in some autopsies of ME patients?

Myopathy
  • Clinical features in 50% with A3243G mutation
    • High incidence by 5th decade
    • Cumulative by 70 years: 77%
  • Weakness
    • Proximal
    • Symmetric
    • Mild to Moderate
    • Face: Some patients
  • Exercise intolerance
    • Some patients with no weakness
  • Ocular
    • Ptosis
    • External ophthalmoplegia
  • No association with inactivity
Pretty familiar list of symptoms, except the eye stuff. I'm interested to find more about what the myopathy entails, however, since that's a very vague term. As well as how the exercise intolerance presents.

Polyneuropathy 61
  • Clinical
    • Gait: Imbalance
    • Sensory: Paresthesias & Numbness; Distal
    • Tendon reflexes: Reduced
    • Legs > Arms
    • More common with: Myopathy, Increased age, Male
    • Asymptomatic in 50%
    • Exacerbated by dichloroacetate
  • Laboratory
    • NCV: Axonal, sensory neuropathy
    • Fasting glucose: May be abnormal
Yes to ataxia, distal mild numbness in feet primarily. I think tendon reflexes were reduced on one side during my hemiplegia, but I should dig out my old records to find out. Fasting glucose definitely high!

Other CNS
  • Headache, cluster
  • Extrapyramidal
    • Chorea
    • Parkinsonism
    • Basal ganglia calcification
  • Ataxia
Headaches and ataxia.

Systemic features
  • Hearing loss (25% to 60%)
    • Sensorineural
    • May be subclinical
    • Cochlear > Retrocochlear
  • Eye
    • Pigmentary retinopathy (10% to 40%): More common in symptomatic relatives
    • Macular dystrophy
    • Optic atrophy
    • Visual field defects
    • Hypertelorism
  • Cardiomyopathy
    • Frequency: 15% to 40% with A3243G mutation
    • Hypertrophic: Left ventricular
      • Increased mortality & morbidity
      • More progression: Diabetics
    • Left ventricular noncompaction
    • Conduction defects: Wolff-Parkinson-White or Other
    • Hypertension
  • Short stature
  • Diabetes
    • May occur as isolated syndrome: More frequent in Asians than Caucasians
    • Maternally inherited (MIDD)
  • GI
    • Pancreatitis
    • Gastric dysmotility: Constipation; Diarrhea; Intestinal pseudoobstruction (ileus)
    • Nausea, cyclic or episodic vomiting
    • Dysphagia
    • Abdominal pain, epigastralgia
    • Sialoadenitis
  • Renal failure
    • Focal, segmental glomerulosclerosis
    • Renal cysts
    • Tubular dysfunction
    • Nephrotic syndrome
  • Endocrine
    • Multihormonal hypopituitarism, short stature
    • Hashimoto thyroiditis, goiter
    • Hypoparathyroidism
    • Addison's disease
    • Ovarian failure, abortion, miscarriage
  • Skin
    • Lipoma
    • Atopic dermatitis, local melanoderma
    • Asymmetric vascular dilatation
A hearing test a few years ago did show that I don't hear a certain deep tone, but otherwise I'm fine. Eye sight is pretty bad, though mostly in a normal way as far as I know. I do see mildly splotchy shadows, but I think that's been since getting ME symptoms.

Heart checked out fine a few years ago, and I've only had any hypertension at diabetes onset, when I was very hyperglycemic at first. I've also had sialoadenitis a couple times in the past year or two, which is the obstruction of the salivary gland. Renal system seems fine, and thyroid, etc.

Lipoma - maybe. Lumps on the bottom of each foot in exactly the same location, starting in the past year or two, and a lump floating around next to my spine starting a few months ago. Atopic dermatitis - yes

Course
  • Mean life span with full clinical syndrome ~ 2 to 4 decades
  • Causes of death: Cardiopulmonary failure; Status epilepticus; Pulmonary disease
  • May deteriorate after general anesthesia
That life span is why I'm really hoping it isn't MELAS. Anesthesia reaction is interesting, since a lot of ME patients have problems with that.

Possible treatments 44
  • Dichloroacetate
  • L-arginine (0.5 g/kg): For acute stroke-like episodes
  • Citrulline (10 g/m2 over 2 days): May reduce lactate levels
I think I tried arginine before, with no noticable impact. But if it only helps during episodes, that could be why. Will look into citrulline.

Laboratory
  • Lactic acidosis: Blood & CSF (85%)
  • EMG: Normal or Myopathic
  • Serum CK: Normal to 2x high (32%)
    • More commonly high with associated: Lactic acidosis; Diabetes; CNS disorders
  • EEG: Slowing, diffuse or focal
  • MRI
    • Strokes
      • Multifocal, mainly cortical, grey matter, lesions
      • Lesion locations: Not confined to vascular territories
      • Focal lesions may be transient
      • Features: T2 & FLAIR hyperintensities; Acute lesions have reduced diffusion coefficient
    • White matter lesions: Some patients
      • Diffuse
      • Often involve periventricular white matter & centrum semiovale
  • Respiratory chain dysfunction
    • Variable: More abnormal with greater mutation load (> 80%)
    • Most common: Reduced activity of Complex I (42% of patients)
    • Other reduced activity: Complex IV (29%); Complex III (23%)
  • Pathology (A3243G mutation) 6
    • Muscle: Abnormal in 72%
      • Ragged red fibers (RRF)
        • COX + & SDH + fibers: More common than most other mitochondrial myopathies
        • COX - fibers: More common in patients with clinical myopathy
        • Few RRF in cytochrome c mutation
        • More with: Diabetes mellitus; Epilepsy; Lactic acidosis
        • Mutation heteroplasmy
          • Normal muscle fibers: Mean = 50%
          • Ragged red muscle fibers: Mean = 88%; Similar in COX- & COX+ RRFs
      • Mitochondrial heterplasmy in muscle fibers
      • Mitochondrial proliferation in blood vessels
    • CNS
      • Abnormal cellular metabolism
      • Mitochondrial capillary angiopathy: CNS ± Heart
      • ± Changes in larger vessels: ? Endothelial pathology
      • Regional changes
        • Basal ganglia calcification: 26%
        • Cerebral: Focal necrosis; Cortical atrophy; White matter gliosis
        • Cerebellum: Cortical atrophy; White matter gliosis;
          Purkinje dendrite cactus formations with increased mitochondria (60%)
      • Possible mechanisms of damage
        • Ischemia 2° mitichondrial angiopathy
        • Cytopathy 2° mitochondrial dysfunction
Lactic acidosis seems likely based on symptoms. A lab result from 2012 showed low CO2 and high anion gap results, though it didn't list ranges so I'm not sure. I don't think creatine kinase (CK) has been tested, at least not recently. EEG - not sure. Last MRI was in 2006, 5 years before ME onset. No lesions where mentioned.

Muscle biopsy is probably the best diagnostic option.

Mel9

Another interesting source linked from the NIH site on MELAS: http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/mitosyn.html#melas

So it would be pretty normal that I don't have family members with it. Though aunts and uncles might have few or mild symptoms. They definitely do have some various things going on ... but nothing major. One very young cousin has an eye problem which seems to also be present in MELAS.

Heteroplasmy is the degree of distribution of the mutation in tissues. This can increase over time, until there's enough of the mutant mitochondria present to cause a lot of problems.

My mutation is on MT-ND1. It's also associated with adult-onset dystonia. Mutations on this gene seem to be a rarer cause of MELAS, with about 80% of cases coming from a single mutation on a different mitochondrial gene.

My first episode of headache and vomiting was at age 11. Though progression seems to have been very slow, up until onset of chronic ME symptoms at age 32.

These would be stroke-like episodes, possibly presenting like migraines, not proper strokes. I had the hemiplegia, as mentioned in a previous post. Also my trigger for migraines was MSG/E621, which is an excitatory neurotransmitter. First episode at 11 happened after I started eating ramen noodle packets with a lot of MSG. Episode with hemiplegia happened when avoiding MSG but not realizing it was in the foods I was eating under a different label.

The basal ganglia thing is also interesting - hasn't that been found in some autopsies of ME patients?

Pretty familiar list of symptoms, except the eye stuff. I'm interested to find more about what the myopathy entails, however, since that's a very vague term. As well as how the exercise intolerance presents.

Yes to ataxia, distal mild numbness in feet primarily. I think tendon reflexes were reduced on one side during my hemiplegia, but I should dig out my old records to find out. Fasting glucose definitely high!

Headaches and ataxia.

A hearing test a few years ago did show that I don't hear a certain deep tone, but otherwise I'm fine. Eye sight is pretty bad, though mostly in a normal way as far as I know. I do see mildly splotchy shadows, but I think that's been since getting ME symptoms.

Heart checked out fine a few years ago, and I've only had any hypertension at diabetes onset, when I was very hyperglycemic at first. I've also had sialoadenitis a couple times in the past year or two, which is the obstruction of the salivary gland. Renal system seems fine, and thyroid, etc.

Lipoma - maybe. Lumps on the bottom of each foot in exactly the same location, starting in the past year or two, and a lump floating around next to my spine starting a few months ago. Atopic dermatitis - yes

That life span is why I'm really hoping it isn't MELAS. Anesthesia reaction is interesting, since a lot of ME patients have problems with that.

I think I tried arginine before, with no noticable impact. But if it only helps during episodes, that could be why. Will look into citrulline.

Lactic acidosis seems likely based on symptoms. A lab result from 2012 showed low CO2 and high anion gap results, though it didn't list ranges so I'm not sure. I don't think creatine kinase (CK) has been tested, at least not recently. EEG - not sure. Last MRI was in 2006, 5 years before ME onset. No lesions where mentioned.

Muscle biopsy is probably the best diagnostic option.

Short stature?

Jenny TipsforME

MELAS is one I consider every so often though my hunch is that ME is just very similar to it.
I've never really thought about my muscle weakness in terms of proximal versus distal
No neither had I but coincidentally the letter between my neurologist and GP I got a copy of yesterday points out that my distal strength is good. Also that I have hip flexion weakness (well I did in the appointment). I feel a bit silly actually not noticing that is where problem is. When my legs go heavy and I can't move them I'd always thought the problem was with quad muscles.
These would be stroke-like episodes, possibly presenting like migraines, not proper strokes.
I've been trying to find a patient account of what a stroke like episode feels like. Have you come across any MELAS patients?
Yes it is very similar sounding to ME, with some extras. But the medical jargon may add up to quite a different experience in real life?
Fasting glucose definitely high
I get high random glucose but not fasting
tendon reflexes were reduced
My reflexes are apparently brisk
Headaches and ataxia.
Does the ataxia come and go?
Yes I'd be at the end of my innings with that prognosis and I don't feel that's the case. It doesn't sound like there's much they can do at the moment IIRC, so may not be a diagnosis you want to know? Unless you just can't stop thinking about it.

Would it be extremely unlikely to have MELAS and ME? Or do you think they could be comorbid?
don't think creatine kinase (CK)
I've had high creatine kinase (510) result before on an ache all over myalgia day (no 'exercise' or injury). But retested twice without that type of pain it's normal.

Do you know how to use the LiveWello sandbox? I tried to put MELAS associated SNPs into that but can't get it to work.

Valentijn

MELAS is one I consider every so often though my hunch is that ME is just very similar to it.
Yes, the symptoms are very similar. It's hard to tell if there is a major difference, aside from MELAS having some additional symptoms which aren't common in ME. Such as diabetes, hemiplegic episodes, etc. Hemiplegia is a big one, because it's super rare, and I know I've seen several patients mention it here.

I've been trying to find a patient account of what a stroke like episode feels like. Have you come across any MELAS patients?
There are a couple forums I think (or subforums on general medical forums), but I haven't looked at them yet.

Does the ataxia come and go?
Not sure ... the relevant article is paywalled and sci-hub has trouble getting it. But it's "cerebellar ataxia", which can be the result of either inflammation or damage. In the case of inflammation, I suspect the ataxia would episodic when the inflammation is.

Would it be extremely unlikely to have MELAS and ME? Or do you think they could be comorbid?
My guess would be that the ME and diabetes in my case would both actually be part of MELAS. ME would technically be a misdiagnosis, if there are exclusionary criteria in the definition used.

Valentijn

I get high random glucose but not fasting
Yeah, mine was pretty normal before the diabetes thing. It seemed to be triggered by a non-flu virus that was going around.

It doesn't sound like there's much they can do at the moment IIRC, so may not be a diagnosis you want to know?
There are some supplements: Co-Q10, arginine, carnitine, citrulline, and maybe thiamine.

Do you know how to use the LiveWello sandbox?
Nope :p And 23andMe doesn't test for the SNP which causes 80% of MELAS cases.

Rvanson

Well I can't say how it is in the Netherlands but my father was diagnosed with type II diabetes many years ago in Austria. His BG was around 400. He was hospitalised and put on insulin injections immediately.

DKA is a medical emergency. I cannot believe that your GP is treating this in such an idiotic fashion.

I can. We tend to think of doctors as being some kind of geniuses, but the fact is that many are incompetent.

Too, if the doctor works in an HMO or government institution, they tend not to be the creme of the crop at all.

Unfortunately, the best medico's in their speciality tend to be independent, not beholding to an HMO or .gov.