• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mitochondrial dysfunction

Lotus97

Rich recommends phopholipids for mitochondrial function in his most recent methylation protocol
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ation-protocol-august-25-2012-revision.19050/
The role of lecithin is to help with repair of cell membranes, especially mitochondrial membranes, which have been damaged by oxidative stress. I suspect that the damaged mito membranes are one of the main reasons why many PWMEs have found that recovering their energy status is one of the slowest aspects of recovery from ME/CFS. In early versions of the SMP, I recommended phosphatidylserine complex to fill this role. However, the phosphatidylserine component tends to lower cortisol initially, and most PWMEs already have below-normal cortisol. Most lecithin is derived from soy, but for those who do not tolerate soy, lecithin is also available that is derived from sunflower, canola or eggs.

I have also recommended that if finances permit, it would be preferable to use Smart Youthful Energy rather than lecithin. This is more costly, but I think it would be worth it, for those who can afford it. Smart Youthful Energy is composed of a liposomal form of pure glycophospholipids of the types needed by the cell membranes, including the mitochondrial membranes. This product has the capability to deliver these lipids to where they are needed, unchanged. Unlike other NT Factor products, there are no additional supplements besides the lipids in this product. It is derived from soy, but it does not contain soy protein, and should not provoke any reactions. Use of these lipids constitutes what has been called “Lipid Replacement Therapy,” a trademarked name.
This approach has been tested by Dr. Garth Nicolson and others, and has been found to be very beneficial in conditions that involve fatigue, including ME/CFS.

Another thing about Krill is that it contains phospholipids. I know there are cheaper ways to get phospholipids such as lecithin, but it's worth mentioning. So is Krill oil less likely than fish oil to go rancid because of it's antioxidants? Life Extension fish oil also has antioxidants such as olive fruit extract and mixed tocopherols added to preserve it. Also, the type of Omega 3 in fish oil (EPA and DHA) can be converted into phospholipids. Since flax and chia don't have the EPA and DHA forms of Omega 3 they wouldn't be as effective. There are vegan forms of EPA/DHA in algal supplements. Alpha GPC is another option since it's supposed to promote phospholipid synthesis.