1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondrial dysfunction and mitophagy activation in Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Dolphin, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text at: http://arthritis-research.com/content/12/1/R17

2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

It would be interesting to run the same tests on ME/CFS patients. There is still the view that FM and ME/CFS are different poles of the same disease.

3. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Interesting and necessary, IF!

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I agree. I think it was discussed in another thread but I reckon that a percentage of patients in Fibromyalgia studies have ME/CFS but there could be a wide variation in the percentages between differen centres.

I think researchers interested in ME/CFS could get lots of ideas from Fibromyalgia studies but at the same time there can be risks e.g. in Fibromyalgia, exercise is generally said to be helpful (I've seen studies which didn't find this but these tend to be forgotten about!) and also patients are said to be over-sensitive to pain (which perhaps may be true in some cases) while I think these theories can be problematic in ME/CFS (and indeed in Fibromyalgia, if the pain is actually from oxidative stress for example).

5. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Fascinating. Now we have to figure out how people's "disease beliefs" (or whatever the whackjob jargon is) causing their mitochondrial dysfunction??

<For the irony-challenged: this is a joke.>

6. spindrift

spindrift Plays With Voodoo Dollies

Can anyone explain the terms 'autophagic genes' and 'mitophagy'?

My thoughts: 'self eating genes' and 'mito eating something?' seem a bit vague. :confused:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

7. Robyn

Robyn *****

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

I hadn't seen the following paper, referenced in the study in question, before:

Vecchiet et al "Relationship between musculoskeletal symptoms and blood markers of oxidative stress in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome" (2002)

Thought it might be of interest to someone...

9. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Hey spin,

From the full text of the paper:

"Autophagic genes" are genes that cause autophagy when they are activated.

10. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

sarah myhill has with even more profound effects excercise intolerance directly correlated with the degree of mitodysfunction as meaured by atp deficiency

11. spindrift

spindrift Plays With Voodoo Dollies

So a recap in simple.wikipedia format:

In FM there is oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction.

Duh!!!!

But I did learn a cool new word 'mitophagy'. Thanks for the help Dr. Yes.

@Gerwyn
    Sarah Myhill rocks!

12. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Is it not obvious? Mitochondria have abherrant beliefs as well.I know for a fact that this is true because Wesselly said so and he would never "distort the truth" would he?

See more popular forum discussions.