Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondrial DNA stress primes the antiviral innate immune response

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by melihtas, Mar 8, 2015.

1. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    Antiviral immune activity, without the presence of a virus sounds like it might explain at least some part of cfs/me/seid mechanism.

Rest of the study is behind paywall.
    Article about the study:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    merylg, August59, AndyPandy and 14 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yep, superficially (without having read the full paper) it could almost (potentially) be an investigation specifically of ME/SEID. Thanks for finding and posting this paper @melihtas.

catly and melihtas like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    melihtas likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    "Alpha- and gammaherpesviruses induce mtDNA stress, but influenza, LCMV, and vaccinia do not."

Sidereal, melamine, Mij and 2 others like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I think the mitochondria should be a central research focus for ME/CFS. I don't know why there's not more of it.

These are abstracts from a couple of other papers... This first abstract is by the lead author of the paper in the opening post in this thread...

merylg, nandixon, SOC and 4 others like this.
  6. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    I agree. Researchers searched for a virus for a long time without a success. After rituximab trial autommunity has become the center of focus but what causes autoimmunity has been a mystery. This study proves that autoimmunity can occur with or without a viral infection.

If autoimmunity in me/seid patients is caused by mithochondria, instead of killing immune cells with rituximab or cyclophosphamide and hoping not to relapse, we can target the root cause of the disease.

merylg, ahmo, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

For those of us who have difficulty following this but are curious/intrigued, what would the treatment look like/consist of if targeting the mitochondria? Any idea? Thanks.

8. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    I don't know, it is beyond my knowledge. There is a lot of research on mithocondria but nothing specific to me/seid so far as far as I know.

9. TeresaBCN

TeresaBCN

Barcelona
    merylg, nandixon, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  10. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
  11. Dr.Patient

Dr.Patient There is no kinship like the one we share!

USA
  12. Dr.Patient

USA
    TFAM depletion, induced genetically or during herpesvirus infection, triggers mtDNA stress...

This is great! Induced genetically (explains the heritable aspect) and herpes virus infection (both oral and genital herpes, also EBV, which is human herpes virus 4), once acquired, will never leave the body, damages the mitochondria. This explains the fatigue associated with mono, and the fatigue associated with genital herpes relapses.

Having these 2 kinds of viruses probably makes the cfs me worse than it would have been with just a genetic component. Hence the improvement seen with antivirals.

Both diagnostic tests and treatments will come only from studies on the mitochondria. No doubt!

melihtas likes this.
  13. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    I think this study explains both sudden onset and slow onset. Sudden onset ME/SEID is most likely caused by viral infection while slow onset caused by mtDNA mutations.

I have always wondered why it took more than ten years for my SEID to develop while it took just days for a lot of people although we have the same disease.

This mechanism can also explain PEM. Exercise puts stress on mitochondria, stressed mitochondria causes antiviral signaling and interferon response. This takes 24 to 48 hours to start flu like symptoms and lasts a week. Viral infection symptoms without a virus.

Or I am just filling in the blanks with my limited medical knowledge and jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  14. Dr.Patient

USA
    Great explanation on the PEM viral symptoms! Also, remember that we all have the genetic predisposition. A lot of people acquire mono, herpes, and flu infections, but they don't turn out like us.

merylg likes this.
  15. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, that's a hypothesis that I'd really like to see investigated.

merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.