Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mitochondrial Cocktail

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by cman89, Jun 15, 2015.

1. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    If I could theoretically take a cocktail of supplements to regenerate/heal/boost Mitochondria function and genesis, with (theoretical) cost not being a factor, what would you include in this (likely massive) supplement regimen? (and I mean anything and everything) Ideally, I would like to not have listed supplements that are "reported" to increase Mitochondria, but where medical lit has good reports for effectiveness. If all issues (DNA, Function, Genesis, Cell wall integrity, and acidosis) Could potentially be covered by this theoretical cocktail, that would be awesome.

Apple, angee111, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @cman89

Thanks for posting this--I've been sort of wondering the same thing. I saw a post recently by a PR member who claimed to have found a very effective mitochondrial supplement, but I somehow lost track of it. o_O I hope that poster will show up on this thread and re-post her testimonial.

4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Catseye was bedridden at one point, and the last I heard was doing really well. Here's one of her many posts on mitochondria (which includes a lot of supplements -- where she talks about Coenzyme A -- she did find a supplement by that name that included all of the ingredients she lists here):

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-a-big-picture-theory.386/page-3#post-10898

One of her main points is fixing leaky gut first. She does insist on a certain diet. I think that diets will be different for everyone, but she talks about the one that helped her the best.

@Wayne -- I think that supplement is the "Biotec Extra Energy Enzymes" that Catseye talks about. But they seem to be either out of business, or just making the pet versions now. There is a bitter melon SOD enzyme product put out by Seeking Health though…

:)

5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Oh, guess this would make more sense than CoQ10, I'm upping my dosage of that :)

GG

6. pogoman

pogoman Senior Member

in no particular order

coq10
    B2 riboflavin
    L-carnitine
    Choline
    branch chained amino acids
    creatine
    D-ribose
    L-citrulline
    caffeine

cman89 likes this.
  7. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    No b12 in that mix? esp. Adenosylcobalamin?

8. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    This is good info folks, lets keep it going...

9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    How about DCA (DiChloroAcetate)? It's a low-cost prescription drug that's been used for decades to treat mitochondrial disorders. More recently it's been used to successfully treat cancer. Interestingly, last I checked, it was being sold on Amazon as a veterinary product for animals with cancer.

10. pogoman

pogoman Senior Member

i consider B12 more to be with methylation than the krebs cycle altho both are related.
    plus some are sensitive to methyl products but if one has mthfr or similar then by all means it should be included along with folate.

john66 and cman89 like this.
  11. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Do you have an idea how it works?

12. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    I didn't see it mentioned here (maybe I missed it) but in addition to supplements mentioned you should also take PQQ, it promotes mitochondrial biogenesis.

SOC likes this.
  13. SOC

SOC Senior Member

Have you read anything about appropriate dosage for PQQ?

14. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Even though these things are meant to increase energy, what about ways to reduce pem after activity?
    I wonder if it would be best to use a pem treatment on an as needs basis or preemptive when we definitely know we are going to get hit. I wonder if using something all the time can reduce it's effects.

So what could we use to treat pem? I know @SOC increase q10 dose. Inflammation is said to increase, I have thought of maybe an anti inflammatory and an antihistamine to help reduce inflammation. Maybe increase normal dose of carnitine and antioxidants when we have pem. To help replace energy use a combo of creating, ribose, pyruvate, bcaa, glutamine and maybe use larger doses than one would use if they took them regularly.

I'm still looking into different substances that could be used for a pem recovery as well as substances to help mitochondria function well. I do use b12 injections when in a crash and they help some.

So any more thoughts on not just supporting mitochondria but also a pem recovery strategy?

Cheers

15. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I have heard of pqq. Very interested to try.

16. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Actually, yes I do. Anything that could reduce the pH burden of the blood and tissues overall could potentially help with PEM. It can protect the cells from the oxidative damage which is said to be seen in CFS PEM. One easily accessible substance is Baking Soda, or Sodium Bicarbonate. Drinking it mixed in H2O can help some folks, but it can also create gas and other gut issues.

heapsreal likes this.
  17. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    20 mg/day from what I read in research studies is more than sufficient, any more than that gets very expensive. I think if cost is an issue you would be fine with even 10 mg/day.

SOC and cman89 like this.
  18. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Apart from the one member mentioned. Are many people helped much by mitochondrial treatment?

Is it worth the test?

sillysocks84 likes this.
  19. sillysocks84

sillysocks84 Senior Member

AMPK is another

See more popular forum discussions.